Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ELEVATED VOLTAGE TO NEUTRAL ABOVE 50 V -NOTICE OF POTENTIAL DANGER

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Boksburg
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ELEVATED VOLTAGE TO NEUTRAL ABOVE 50 V -NOTICE OF POTENTIAL DANGER

    Hi, guys ,

    According to SANS 10142 . When testing the elevated voltage to neutral exceeds 50V , you have to disconnect the supply and notify the supplier . Is there any particular form to be filled in to notify them ? If so , where to I get one ?

    regards

  2. #2
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,789
    Thanks
    557
    Thanked 909 Times in 734 Posts
    If it's a fault with the supply then call the appropriate supplier on their fault report line and report it if it's a supply fault, or get the customer to phone it in.
    What type of supply is it (TNCS, TNS, TT)? What voltage was the neutral at? What tester were you using and did you isolate the installation from the supply during the test?
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Boksburg
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If it's a fault with the supply then call the appropriate supplier on their fault report line and report it if it's a supply fault, or get the customer to phone it in.
    What type of supply is it (TNCS, TNS, TT)? What voltage was the neutral at? What tester were you using and did you isolate the installation from the supply during the test?
    Thanks Andy

    I have not yet come across this type of a problem . I was just asking in case I come across such as an electrical


    regards

  4. #4
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    22,021
    Thanks
    3,177
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 2,177 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshepo Mokoena View Post
    Hi, guys ,

    According to SANS 10142 . When testing the elevated voltage to neutral exceeds 50V , you have to disconnect the supply and notify the supplier . Is there any particular form to be filled in to notify them ? If so , where to I get one ?

    regards
    You can use a photocopy of Annexure H of SANS 10142-1 (page 318 in edition 2.0).
    And get a reference number from the supplier for your report to CYA.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Boksburg
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    You can use a photocopy of Annexure H of SANS 10142-1 (page 318 in edition 2.0).
    And get a reference number from the supplier for your report to CYA.
    Thanks Gentlemen

  6. #6
    Gold Member Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    869
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 123 Times in 94 Posts
    It is a good idea to befriend the head of the technical department of your local supplier. On the few occasions I have had this situation, I phoned him from site, informed him of the situation and he had a team dispatched the same day to rectify the fault. When a team was in the area I have even waited for them so I could do confirmation testing before leaving the site.

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Neutral split
    By Hotspot in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Jan-18, 07:10 PM
  2. Elevated voltage on supply neutral measurement
    By PaulG in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Mar-16, 07:45 PM
  3. Neutral leaking 220V to Earth
    By Etienne Swanepoel in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19-Oct-14, 07:37 PM
  4. 3 core cable running 2 phases and neutral is OK?
    By skatingsparks in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-12, 07:44 AM
  5. Difference between: Power factor correction, Voltage regulation and Voltage stabisizi
    By BigRed in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-Feb-10, 09:29 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •