Thread: How to get a group of under 10s to behave.

Thanks

How to get a group of under 10s to behave.

A long, long time ago I found myself in the not so fortunate position of looking after my young niece and nephew (aged 5 and 6 respectively) along with my 7-year old son.

If you have kids of that age, you'll know that happy-hour lasts for about 10 minutes before the toy nicking and screaming begins. On this particular day I had been blessed with a headache of note that bordered on the edge of the migraine chasm and nothing I took helped. Faced with 8 long hours of my beloved brats bickering, I had to come up with a solution - and fast!

As I picked up yet another pair of my shoes that my niece had tipsy toed through the house in, I had an idea. I grabbed three leather-soled sandals in different styles and set off for the TV lounge.

I sat the kids down, put the sandals on the floor and told each one of them to choose one. Once they had chosen I instructed them thus:

"Courtney, if you misbehave, Matt - you're getting your backside tanned with your sandal. Matt, I you misbehave - Reece, you're going to get it. Reece, if you misbehave, well Corky - I think you know what's going to happen."

The rest of the day was blissful happiness for me. The quiet was only momentarily interrupted once with an urgent whisper of, "Matt, don't - my mom is going to smack me if you do and then when I hit you Corky will be smacked and then she will do something so you get smacked."

My mothering skills may be a bit warped, but damn I'm good. Even if I say so myself!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I also look after my brother's brats and the youngest is simply out of control and will do actual damage to electronics or the house if not under constant supervision. Now I had to look after them till about 5 PM that day. SO... What to do... what to do... I took them out to the local fishing spot gave each of them a fishing rod and told them that for every fish they catch I would buy them a DVD of there choice... Well Needless to say it worked out well... I only had to get 3 DVDs...

But before I send them home they got enough sugar and candy... By the time mom and dad fetched them they where just unmanageable

Needless to say mom and dad had there hands full... and i had the biggest smile on my face
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have two daughters who are now 14 & 16. When they were little we would have "a dummy's meeting". Everybody had to keep vrry quiet and the first one that spoke would lose. They had to play best out of 3 for a nice reward....you wanna see a pair of girls keep quiet for a very long time....

Thanks
    Kudos to you both

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    you wanna see a pair of girls keep quiet for a very long time....
    Is that even possible?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    Is that even possible?
    Yes very possible... all you need is the right bribe AKA reward...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    Is that even possible?
    It worked well when they were little.... these days my eldest is way too scared of my young terrorist to get into a fight with her. When your "little" sister dreams of being a MMA fighter then its better to let possible conflict slide...