Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mains Delay - Life After Loadshedding

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    This is the first chance that I've had to properly read through the opening post. You want R1mil to get going....? Noboby would invest that kind of money.

I think that it is a great product and I would certainly buy a couple myself but I can't see why it requires so much money to get off the ground.

What are you going to do when the big boys catch on and start manufacturing their own versions?
    Hi Adrian

The initial amount needed is, as you correctly assume, a lot lower than R1m. My logic is that if I set the target at R1m, and we get more than the absolute essential amount that is needed for the startup, then we have change left over for marketing.

And we all know how important that is. Having the greatest thing since sliced bread is useless if you can't get the message out there.

We can probably start with less than 10% of my target number, but if we attack the market with a massive marketing push, we won't be concerned about the 'big boys' - we will be the big boys.

I have seen a few great ideas and inventions by other very clever individuals that failed in the past, and often as a result of a lack of marketing and exposure.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    what about crowd funding?
    Hi Houses4Rent

I did look into kickstarter.com as the first choice, but guess what ... don't deal with Africa.

Can't say I am really surprised. There are a few of the large online services that won't touch our continent. Just can't imagine why.

There are some local services similar to kickstarter, but they really do not have the exposure of anywhere near the number of users that could make a commercial venture of this scale work.

So I was left with the next most viable solution. Find a number of like minded investors that believe in the uniqueness of the product, and share the profits.

Yes, I do get to reduce my personal investment and exposure to risk, but I am also at the same time cutting my own profit share considerably.

I suppose it is a case of having 20% of something is a lot better than having 100% of nothing.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Hi Adrian

The initial amount needed is, as you correctly assume, a lot lower than R1m. My logic is that if I set the target at R1m, and we get more than the absolute essential amount that is needed for the startup, then we have change left over for marketing.

And we all know how important that is. Having the greatest thing since sliced bread is useless if you can't get the message out there.

We can probably start with less than 10% of my target number, but if we attack the market with a massive marketing push, we won't be concerned about the 'big boys' - we will be the big boys.

I have seen a few great ideas and inventions by other very clever individuals that failed in the past, and often as a result of a lack of marketing and exposure.
    Ah ok, that sounds better....you had me worried there for a bit. I will give you a call early next week then we can chat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12