Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Yep, that GWX (and similar) is a definite MUST to prevent MS from installing its malware without you even noticing.

Just in: Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

And then (as usual) the next day: Microsoft U-turn on 'nasty trick' pop-up

We've seen this before haven't we?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Any advice offered on alternatives for windows? Cost and operating efficiency is obviously important.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have just bought a new computer and put Windows 7 on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,682 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So it seems somewhere between yesterday and today is the moment in history when if you're on Automatic Updates on Windows 7, you're going to get automatically updated to Windows 10.

I've just had to block all our computers that access our accounting system from the update as apparently QuickBooks Enterprise 2014 is not compatible with Windows 10.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Dave - how do i switch off automatic updates for windows to windows 10 ?

Thanks
    Last week upgraded a friend of a friends exceeding slow and sluggish Windows 7 computer, to Linux openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64) 64-bit.

Able to recover almost all of every document and image for her.

She is very happy, with my friend for asking self to do it, as she feels it now runs at light speed in comparison, able to do everything she previously was doing faster, and the software was all free ;-)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I got to a point where i was going to throw this laptop out the window ... 500 gig hard drive full as slow as f^&k ...everytime i wanted to open a picture or download even a small file ..." sorry no space" phoned a friend who gave me a program to download windirstat ... downloaded it and now what it gave me a picture of stuff ...but who knows what i was suppose to do with it.

then i made an even bigger mistake ... i loaded a CCTV package to with with Dahua products (cameras and DVR's) not being technical minded ...i loaded the program icluding the DVR portion ...which resulted in it stroing footage ... i figued it out and removed the program and reloaded without the dvr portion.

then back to the same issues ... after months and months of removing every single photo ...video ... program which wasnt required on the laptop ... still within days it would be "full" i resorted to swiching off at the power button which would give me 35 meg and if found any other stuff to remove i would do it.

Then i needed to download a PLC program ...i got desperate ... searched youtube until i found a suggestion ...CCleaner ... dwonloaded it ran it and imagine that 390 GIG free space ...so wher edid all that space come from ... "WINDOWS TEMP FILES" ... YES ... 390 GIGS WORTH OF THEM.

Because windows kept threatening that winodws 7 was no longer supported ...i decided to start searching for "FREE" WINDOWS 10 ... i found it ... you got windows download ... make sure your windows 7 is registered and 12 hours ... ten thousand five million six hundred thousand and ten updates my computer switched on again.

So my question after all that ... what is the catch ...nothing in life if for free... is my computer gona work ... is there some hidden spyware ... has my computer now become part of the new world order ... have i just F&*ked up or will it be fine?

Its been a long night ...i need to go sleep.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I turn off all automatic updates, then wait for Nod32 to tell me to update. Just make sure there is nothing for W10 in those updates.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I think a lot more people are going to move to that sort of arrangement. Either Linux (for those on a budget) or Apple.

Again, MS shows just how they can make all their customers very unhappy: http://www.pcworld.com/article/31003...ry-update.html

And the lawsuit floodgates are squeaking open it seems: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...e-upgrade-push
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Imagine that ...the very first thing that pops up as i open an XL spreadsheet ... office 2010 support ends in October

10 years has become the technical lifespan.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast