Just a heads up with regards to fitting a BOSAL towbar.

I purchased a vehicle 2 years ago which had a towbar already fitted, hooked up the boat to find the lights didnt work on the trailer, had them checked out. The trailer lights were ok but it seems the plug which was fitted with the towbar was faulty. Contacted BOSAL directly and was told that it was a simple solution you just disconnect and remove the earth wire and leave it off for a couple of seconds then reconnect.

Yip it was a simple solution. The only problem, everytime the towbar gets wet the earth wire has to be removed. I contact bosal once again and ask about their "lifetime warranty". I was told that BOSAL only offer a 1 year warranty on their electrical harnesses and that they contract the harnesses out to various "subcontractors" to design and supply with their towbars. I started doing some research asking towbar fitment cnetres etc, to find that this harness fitted to my VW is a faulty unit. SO i contact BOSAL again to enquire why they didnt recall all these units at the time if everyone knows about the problem. The response, we will replace it at at a fee of R850.00.

So if you find your trailer lights keep going on the blink and you own a bosal towbar. There is a solution you can replace it with the same faulty unit for R 850 and a 1 year warranty...I hear you will be lucky if it works for 2 weeks after being replaced, or you can go to a place like TOWRITE DURBAN and have a reliable unit fitted with a lifetime warranty for R 1200, Like the one I have on my other VW which is 7 years old and still works.

Dont get mixed up with towrite and towbar SA.

Towrite...good with lifetime warranty.

Towbar SA...bad workmanship...shocking

Bosal...dont use their wiring harness...rubbish with only a 1 year warranty.