Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Saturday at home, installing an inverter

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverNodashi View Post
    sadly those inverters were cheaply built (though you paid a lot for it due to 3-5 middle men) and generally don't have a decent charging circuit.
    I have to agree with you on this...i have had a lot of problems with these units "frying" the batteries...people are "dumping" them. The little scare we had recently with load shedding has surfaced a lots of these old units, which are now dead.

I plan to strip one and see if i cant salvage parts from them and make a DIY power bank, using lithium batteries and a better charge unit. I do realize it is going to cost a little more however in the long run it might be a way better option. Add in a solar panel and we will be onto something.

I have been following a DIY fella who converts cars into battery powered ones. My son is building and modify old V8's. I am gona chat to him about doing a DIY conversion to an old cheap body. Your computer will share more info than you need, if you ask the right questions. Sometime its shares more than i would like to see

Thanks
    Hi Andy. My Apologies. My son interfered with my setup and plugged my lounge(load) into another source so I thought it was still running on battery. Redid the test and by charging the batteries on an intelligent charger separately, it only added an additional 20min. I have 1 x 110a/h and 1 x 60a/h lead acid battery in parallel. Ellies FBI1000W 600W/1000VA

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Andy...how is your sytem holding up...4 years since installed...they must be due for replacement?

Thanks
    My system is working without problems but the batteries are now only delivering about 60% of their original capacity. Because I originally oversized the battery bank it means they still run all my, PC's, servers printers, router, phones and back-up lights for around 3 hours but unfortunately the coffee machine and a few other luxuries we had plugged in are a no go. We also have to disciplined about which lights are on otherwise back-up time would be under 3 hours.

When the time comes I'll be looking at maybe upgrading to Lithium Ion batteries rather than like for like lead acid replacements but I'm not sure if the inverter built-in charger is compatible.

A couple of the 12VDC LED tape lights I used for emergency lights in some places have a few failed LED modules along their length but they seem to be hanging in there for now.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Nov-19)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    My system is working without problems but the batteries are now only delivering about 60% of their original capacity. Because I originally oversized the battery bank it means they still run all my, PC's, servers printers, router, phones and back-up lights for around 3 hours but unfortunately the coffee machine and a few other luxuries we had plugged in are a no go. We also have to disciplined about which lights are on otherwise back-up time would be under 3 hours.

When the time comes I'll be looking at maybe upgrading to Lithium Ion batteries rather than like for like lead acid replacements but I'm not sure if the inverter built-in charger is compatible.

A couple of the 12VDC LED tape lights I used for emergency lights in some places have a few failed LED modules along their length but they seem to be hanging in there for now.
    Lithium is the way to go ...but man the price is still a little off the mark.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223