Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Saturday at home, installing an inverter

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Found this interesting... could this be why they offer a reduction in price if you hand in your old battery... At Ra over R2000 a replacement battery for your backup system... might be worn looking into this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXx70MqJ-0
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Hi all,

First post here, just doing some research, and since this thread has seen a lot of activity, I hoped it was the right place to ask:

I'm currently researching residential inverter installations in Cape Town, can anyone suggest someone?

I’m basically looking for a one stop shop and solution, so I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings

I do inverter installations in the Cape Town Area if you are interested you may contact me and I will gladly come and see you and advise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Greetings

I do inverter installations in the Cape Town Area if you are interested you may contact me and I will gladly come and see you and advise.
    Hi there!

I just sent you a PM; thanks!

Thanks

LEAD CARBON BATTERY VS TROJANS

Hi Andy,

I installed a system based inspired by your write up in Feb 2015 with very similar specs using Axpert 3KV inverter and 4x Trojan T125s. As in your case the use was very minimal as ESKOM almost completely withdrew load shedding in East London. I find the system currently weak with regard to the expectations.I must confess that battery maintenance was poor as I checked the battery water levels only once that too after three years. The inverter is connected to the refrigerator and microwave in addition to the lights. Now with the refrigerator working it will be alive only for an hour or less but with minimal lights and fans it can do some 3 hours.Hence i am thinking of replacing the batteries. What is your opinion with regard to lead carbon vs existing trojan t 125s. Price wise i see no difference . Appreciate your input.

Anyone with experience with lead carbon battery is welcome to share their view. Thanking in advance.

Thanks
    Hi AndyD. I am having constant loadshadding at mi area. I want to know how can I select the solar system for my house , , to supply tv and lights Nd a fridge if possible. I want to know the size of panel can get , the battery, inverter , controller.?

Thanks
    Sizing and specifying a solar system is something that needs a site visit to establish the load profile, where panels could be mounted and how efficient they're going to be with your roof angle and shading etc. You need to find someone in your area that has lots of experience in solar installations because there's no 'one size fits all' solution and many mistakes that can be made when designing these systems which usually work out very expensive. For that reason I'd strongly suggest you at least get professional advice before spending your money.

Most respectable companies will visit your house, give you good advice and do a survey and quotation for free.

Can I ask why you want a solar system rather than just a basic battery/inverter system that just charges from Eskom power? Also out of interest what kind of budget are you working with?

Thanks
    This thread is a blast from the past. 6 years on and we're still getting load shedding.....sigh.

Well a quick update. The inverter system is still exactly as I installed it, I haven't added or subtracted anything and everything still works fine.....almost.

There was one issue with a hot termination at the battery fuse holder. Luckily I smelled the hot insulation before any substantial damage occurred and I just had to cut the old lug off and crimp on a new one. There was also one string of the 12v back-up lights stopped working which turned out to be a cable that got pulled loose whilst the painters were busy in the vicinity. Apart from those minor niggles the system has performed admirably.

My present day issue is that the lead acid batteries are now at the stage where they no longer hold sufficient charge to cover a two hour load shedding. I was a bit disappointed but after looking at the date I started this thread and realising to my surprise that 6 years has gone by I guess it's to be expected.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the batteries with lithium ion but the price is still somewhat prohibitive at around R30K for decent batteries with a good built-in management system. I'm getting quoted just under R2K for a 235AH 6V deep cycle gel battery which works out to just over R9K for the set.

Thanks
    Hello Andy, Good to hear from you!

I built my system around your input around the same time. We hardly had frequent power cuts over the last 5 years and the system was largely unused but whenever it was needed it did a fantastic job. I changed my batteries a couple of months back. This time I went with Trojan T125 Spre 255AH costing R12000 for four. From what I remember your system is also an Axpert 3KW MKS plus. Can you advise if it is possible to add one more of the same inverter to the existing one to facilitate load management?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight72 View Post
    Hello Andy, Good to hear from you!

I built my system around your input around the same time. We hardly had frequent power cuts over the last 5 years and the system was largely unused but whenever it was needed it did a fantastic job. I changed my batteries a couple of months back. This time I went with Trojan T125 Spre 255AH costing R12000 for four. From what I remember your system is also an Axpert 3KW MKS plus. Can you advise if it is possible to add one more of the same inverter to the existing one to facilitate load management?
    Hi Blackknight, glad the thread was useful to you and it's good to hear your inverter served you well even though it wasn't needed a lot of the time. Unfortunately the old MKS Axpert inverters can't be paralleled together to run as one larger inverter like some of the newer models can.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast