Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator connection

Thanks

Thumbs up Thats nice

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Please tell me that your customers are not making use of you as an electrician and that you are not working on electrical installations!
    I did not think i`ll get this response - Sparks, you sound like someone allmighty and mr know it all - without reason or explanation, throw that curve ball, nice going. Congrats! but we all are not. So why not help me right? or dont you know either?

Thanks
    The reasons for my valid response:
    "I get loads of customers also asking questions about these generator and ups/ invertors..."
    "we supply a manual (20A) switchover switch"
    "I know the earth leakage is working if you press the test button and not with the plug in tester that creats a earth fault....and im not so sure why"

It appears your clients believe you to be a "competent electrician" I do not.
    20A Change-over switch being fed from a 60-100A municipal supply?
    You do not know why the ELCB tester does not trip the ELCB yet still issue a COC?

Besides your obvious lack of knowledge regarding SANS10142(The regulations!), your spelling and grammar lead me to wonder whether you are not in fact a government official!

Please humour us with your definition of a "competent electrician"

Email problem
    Thanks
    if your supply from mains db to the changeover switch is fed from a 20 amp circuit breaker then you can use a 20 amp changeover as no more than 20 amps can flow through there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    The reasons for my valid response:
    "I get loads of customers also asking questions about these generator and ups/ invertors..."
    "we supply a manual (20A) switchover switch"
    "I know the earth leakage is working if you press the test button and not with the plug in tester that creats a earth fault....and im not so sure why"

It appears your clients believe you to be a "competent electrician" I do not.
    20A Change-over switch being fed from a 60-100A municipal supply?
    You do not know why the ELCB tester does not trip the ELCB yet still issue a COC?

Besides your obvious lack of knowledge regarding SANS10142(The regulations!), your spelling and grammar lead me to wonder whether you are not in fact a government official!

Please humour us with your definition of a "competent electrician"
    The 20Amp switch over switch (feeding a small DB with 1 light and 1 plug circuit) - that is getting fed from either 20A CB in Db and/ or 20A CB with earth leakage that comes from the "ecc type male" plug (where for testing purposes been tested with mains power). So DON`T BE CHILDISH - its like in SANS10142-1 last page (358) . MR no it all sparks.

So is there any other commends on this or not? Thank you

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    So this welding socket 3pin, was it rated 16A you said?...

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 20-Mar-15 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    Yes it is, all day. Let's clear the air. Rohann van Zyl is actually Afrikaans, that explains some of his post. The rest of my comment still stands however. If a person does not know the reason the ELCB tester does not trip the ELCB then I have no choice other than to doubt their credentials. In light of this there is no way that I will assume that the "mains supply" which he refers to is from a 20A circuit breaker, especially when specific reference is made to "mains supply". Rohann as well as any other Afrikaans speaking people are welcome to search for "eresme" on Skype if they wish to converse in Afrikaans which will certainly eliminate misunderstandings caused by translation.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    So all in all I feel this discussion of DYI should be made into a new thread as it is a very important aspect to discuss and to be clear about. If only our country could have created a DYI regulation as what NZ has done and to say where the client needs to get a registered person. Anyways back to generators.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Are we all in agreance of the fact that a generator connection requires a switch over that breaks phases and neutral with indication on db boards supplied by generator.

Also that a neutral earth bridge is required at generator point of connection and properly labeled as such.

Further more a circuit breaker on generator supply in order to protect against short circuit and overload conditions.

Also a valid CoC for the installation of alternative supply.

A application form seems to be only required by certain manucipalities, maybe some of you could elabirate more on that.

Further more with plug in generators for us the registered electricians. This is not some law in the OHSA nor in the SANS10142-1

This is something I believe in and from many conversations with other professionals "ECSA registered engineers" and the electrical inspector for Gauteng I feel and it should be required of us professionals to best possible advise the client and also not to leave the client in a position that he can cause possible harm or damage to property or harm to himself or other persons.

This having been said due to the plug in generator, since the generator plugged in is CoC'd as its feeding the load as alternative supply thus the load must be compliant with the supply and vice versa (PSCC, loop impedance etc.)

Now the client buys a new generator or that generator is serviced, maybe rewound some changes come due to this then this is used again as alternative supply since the plug in point is provided.

It could cause problems which the client is not aware of or who ever comes after him. This then is the responsibility of the professional to make sure that this could not happen.

There for in my opinion and take it only as that, that a connection must be installed where the generator is physically connected to with the earth/neutral bridge inside, thus when generator is removed or replaced an electrician needs to come and do so then also with new generator or rewound/repaired generator do new CoC.

Thus having to use a tool to remove and connect generator is then within regulations as a layman is not allowed to do so just as with any other connection, but with plug in point that changes completely...

Any sound advise or comments on this is welcomed and please don't come with bullshit like "then its the client's own responsibility" and " the regulations protect me from responsibility"

At the end of the day I don't want any one's death on my hands, nor law suits at my back. I believe it is my responsibility as an professional even thou the regulation can so be munipulated to edemnify me from responsibilty, that I must ensure the safety of human beings, animals and protection of property against fire and short circuit damage.

Excuse my spelling mistakes as I am laying in hospital awaiting a back opp and not using google spelling mistake correction.

I look forward to other opinions on this and also for everyone to offer clarity on generator connections and installations.

Thanks
    I agree Dieter, unfortunately there are way too many "electrical assistants/appys'" running around making hot connections along with DIYers. Many sparkies put their client's safety above the buck but unfortunately once again the clients are more concerned about saving the buck. I refuse to sign off any COC unless I am satisfied that the installation is either compliant or safe as applicable. All the best with your back op.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast