Good day everyone,

Due to the post office strike I received my motor vehicle licence renewal letter late.

When I did receive the renewal letter, I noticed that the licence disc has already expired two months ago.

As “Murphy’s Law” would have, shortly after receiving the renewal letter I was pulled off at a roadblock and issued with a fine. Examining the “infringement notice”, I noticed that the main charge code is “2311: Failed to take specified vehicle for RWC-test”. The charge has a penalty amount of R1,250 and discount amount of R625, which is ridiculous.

I am no expert on the National Road Traffic Act but I fail to see what a roadworthy certificate test has to do with an expired licence disc.

In addition I noticed on the “infringement notice” that the residential address is indecipherable; contact details are marked “n/a”; the licence disc no is marked “n/a”; the operator card no is left blank and the series (model) name of the vehicle is incorrect.

Can I successfully challenge this fine and submit a representation? In my opinion the charge is invalid and blatant extortion.