Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neutral leaking 220V to Earth

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I get the distinct sense that is advice that needs some rather long "subject to" clauses.
    Subject to SANS10142-1
    Can only be done on the supplier side and not on the consumer side.
    Remember,depending what tipe supply (TNC/TNC-S) your neutral & earth point is connected on the star point of the transformer.

So either the neutral is split into a neutral and earth at meter box feeding consumer board or it is split from the star point of the transformer.

When such a bridging of your neutral to earth has been done it has to be clearly indicated (labeled)
    It can be easly tested with a loop tester which in turn will show a high resistance (above 1.92ohm)

If this does not rectify the high resistance then an annexture K form should be filled in and handed to supplier to notify them of potential danger

This information supplied was aimed at the post from Ettiene Swanepoel about the 220v on neutral. Also another reason why a neutral will have 220v on is due to a loose live connection.

Voltage on between incomming neutral and earth is allowed up to 25v touch voltage.

NB : All this information on rectifications are only allowed to be done by an regristered electrician or a person being supervised by an regristered electrician.

Thanks
    thanks for the advice chaps. After speaking to the client he informed me that they had a burnt neutral a while back that the council repaired. Unfortunately they didn't do a very good job and did not tighten the connections. All is fixed up and working just great. What still bugs me is the difference between the digital and "old school" spinning disc KWH meters. Anyway like my mom used to say "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" thanks again for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArc View Post
    thanks for the advice chaps. After speaking to the client he informed me that they had a burnt neutral a while back that the council repaired. Unfortunately they didn't do a very good job and did not tighten the connections. All is fixed up and working just great. What still bugs me is the difference between the digital and "old school" spinning disc KWH meters. Anyway like my mom used to say "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" thanks again for the advice it is greatly appreciated.
    BlueArc, it is possible that the mechanical meter is doing this as the meter itself has a coil inside and therefor partially a resistance and not like the electronic meter that uses CTs or in the case where it carries the load it uses a contactor inside. I stand under correction thou.

PS : As per council inspector "always after the council have connected and re-energized the supply,check and make sure it is done right"
    Reason he said this to me, is because we where ahead on a project and I said to him that everything is already connected and ready for power to be switched on. He informed me that the guys they use to connect and switch on has only been "trained" to do just that and that they aren't electricians. It is possible that they could switch L & N around... Much sadness...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12