Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workmanship or OCD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At least you don't use a torque wrench when you tighten the screws...
    We started using torque screwdrivers a few years ago for assembling control panels. Most terminations do have maunfacturers recommended torque settings.

If the circuit breakers in domestic DB boards have recommeded tightning torques general sparkies should really be using them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    We started using torque screwdrivers a few years ago for assembling control panels. Most terminations do have maunfacturers recommended torque settings.

If the circuit breakers in domestic DB boards have recommeded tightning torques general sparkies should really be using them.
    Have you any specs on these screw drivers?
    Where do you purchase them?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    They are available, at a hefty price. One of the problems with using screwdrivers, most people don't know the difference between a PH and PZ which is why you find so many stripped screws and you can't torque a stripped screw.

Bottom line, you would need to educate people about the difference between PH and PZ first, then all electrical components would require the torque setting printed on the device. I would be all for it, but in the real world, not gona happen.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong with any of that. I do the screws vertical thing. Not because of OCD but if someone else comes along and tinkers with things you have done, you know. Also takes just as long to cut and chase a straight line as it does to do a rough, wonky one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Have you any specs on these screw drivers?
    Where do you purchase them?
    I got them from RS Components. They're either Wiha or Wika, I can't remember offhand TBH but I'll get the info tomorrow when I'm in the workshop. I have a couple of them, one for the lighter torques and one for the heavier torques.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    They are available, at a hefty price. One of the problems with using screwdrivers, most people don't know the difference between a PH and PZ which is why you find so many stripped screws and you can't torque a stripped screw.

Bottom line, you would need to educate people about the difference between PH and PZ first, then all electrical components would require the torque setting printed on the device. I would be all for it, but in the real world, not gona happen.
    You get Philips, Pozidrive, Superdrive, and you also get modulo philips and modulo pozidrive,also known as 'plus minus' screws which are flat and star at the same time and you see a lot on contactor and MCB termination screws. I also carry four different modulo screwdrivers in my toolcase. It's critical with modulo screwdrivers that you use the right one otherwise the blade cracks easily because all the torque ends up on one point if it's in a screw it doesn't fit properly.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    😀 Andy this is Africa. If you go to the wholesaler it is difficult enough trying to get a PZ screwdriver.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    �� Andy this is Africa. If you go to the wholesaler it is difficult enough trying to get a PZ screwdriver.
    More like a reply 'watz that?'
    Recently went looking for 'Shelac' for a special kind of job, and none of the motor parts suppliers even knew what I was talking about, save for an old timer at an old place. We use to use it in the old days to seal oil sumps to the engine block.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    �� Andy this is Africa. If you go to the wholesaler it is difficult enough trying to get a PZ screwdriver.
    If it's anything that's not high volume items all the wholesalers are absolutely useless.

This is the torque driver I use, it's gone up in price considerably from when I bought it though, I think I paid around R700 each for mine. Here's the modulo driver bits that fit it.

This is the normal screwdriver set I use, it comes with 2 x modulo (plus-minus) blades.

I should be gettng commission frm RS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    More like a reply 'watz that?'
    Recently went looking for 'Shelac' for a special kind of job, and none of the motor parts suppliers even knew what I was talking about, save for an old timer at an old place. We use to use it in the old days to seal oil sumps to the engine block.
    Are you using it for repairing motor windings?
    SPANJAARD LTD, Address: 748-750 Fifth Street, Wynberg, Sandton
    Telephone Number:+27 (0)11 386-7100
    sell a spray electrical insulatng varnish which can be used on most stators. If you're rewinding from scratch you need something a bit more serious.

We usually use Wilec for most stuff to do with rewinding. They sell a limited selection of insulating resins for trickle and vacuum impregnation of windings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.