Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searching for SA Technology Nuggets

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    @Justloadit - I said that I would never sign a non-disclosure agreement when a client comes to me with his idea without telling me up front what the idea is simply because I have too many ideas of my own which I would like to implement.

I did not say that I would not have a third party sign a non-disclosure agreement with me when I want to implement my own idea.

My reasoning is that I will rather not partake in another persons idea if there is any chance whatsoever of that idea limiting my own inventive pursuits.
    So can the third party not apply your rule?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Of course they can, and they do, and that is exactly why I have no interest in their ideas. I don't want any part of their ideas if I don't know what I am letting myself in for. I have way too many products on the market already and viable ideas of my own that their idea will have to be very special in my opinion for me to tie myself down to such an agreement. People are free to enter into such an agreement with me on my ideas if they choose to do so, it is their choice, just as it is my choice not to.

Thanks
    The way an NDA is drawn up is very important. Simply put, if the ideas emerging during disclosure are known to either party, or are already in public domain, this can be expressly stated, in writing. At that point, the NDA does not apply to the information flow.

There are also generally a few other exclusions in place to protect both parties. Given the fairness & protection of such disclosure, it is always imperative for both parties to sign up to an NDA before any idea flow begins.

Adrianh, you may very well have been doing yourself a dis-service in former relationships.

The big issue kicks in if neither party are reliable-enough to honour their commitments in the NDA. This may be something to thoroughly investigate either directly before signing, or post-signing, before a major idea flow begins. Trustworthiness & honour are often sadly in short supply, today.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If I was merely a manufacturer then yes, I would be happy to sign such agreements. I am a prolific designer, I have the skills and own the gear to develop stuff very quickly. Like I said a million times before, I will not sign a non-disclosure agreement with anybody unless I know up front what I am dealing with because I may already have something similar in mind. I would much rather forego a possible opportunity than blindly ring-fence my own freedom.

To coin a phrase: "You keep your cheese if you try to cage me in and you keep your hands off mine"

..and I honestly don't care if I miss a great opportunity because the decision that I have to make at the time is limited to my knowledge at the time of making the decision. If it turns out that the idea makes billions then that is perfectly ok and I stand by my decision.

5. Thanks given for this post:

desA (23-Jun-14)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12