Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scrap DSTV Anyone?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The situation here is that with all this income they are able to block any new player coming into the market. Simply because they have lots of money they simply buy their programs at a higher cost, and demand exclusivity barring the competition. No new station can even attempt to compete, look at Pay TV, they can not grow because they can not afford to break the monopoly.
    I wouldn’t bother with DSTV... As you say they own the monopoly there is no point getting another service.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Was talking to a few people yesterday and they all are canceling there DSTV?

This came as a surprise to me as many of you know i am not a big DSTV fan anymore and will actually leave it deactivated wasn't it for some sports events. But we are paying to much and truth is we get less. Most of the movies are old and many of the series are bludgeoned to death by advertisement that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. So i am doing the DVD thing and have been ordering full series from my local music/DVD store. To the point it is painful to know what you fork out over R8400+ excluding TV license.

But what the final blow for me was the pressure now being placed on sports. In general talent must be the number one aspect and everything else must be second to that. A talented player must be recognized and hard training and dedication must be the commitment. I fear the worst and is the very reason why i stopped watching and supporting Cricket. The past has showed us how GOOD players made BAD choices and ALTERED the outcome forever tainting the sport. This is sad to me because it is a GLOBAL thing and many teams was touched by this "As news reported"

So my question is are we moving forward with technology and entertainment? Are you seeing what you want to see? Is advertisement sensitive to you? OR is it a slap in the face at times?

These are the questions we must ask because it is time to make choices to show both advertisements AND broadcasters that we will no longer tolerate or support there product because of the choices they are making and the directions they are taking. Why is it that the lower DSTV subscriptions exclude "some channels" Clearly someone is being targeted and it is wrong.

i personally think it is time to physically remove the "option" from my home because then i will not be tempted to fork out the cash "even for special events"
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well with my PVR, I simply let the program run for about an hour, then rewind and watch, by fast forwarding past the adverts. But they now have gotten wise to this. There is no distinct break between the show and advert both when it starts or when the adverts end. They are also sneaky in that they insert only one advert in the middle of a scene.

Now if I was getting the show for free, I would have no problem with this, after all the adverts are carrying the cost of my entertainment, but with f...king DSTV, this is not the case!. I am paying a monthly subscription fee and I am still bombarded with the usual adverts as if I was getting free TV.

I am just waiting for that optic line to come to my area, and it will be goodbye DSTV.

I do not watch the local sports, but occasionally I watch English soccer of some of the UEFA games. The teams I want to watch are not show cased anyway, as it is deemed to unimportant against the MUN and Barca and the the other corporate teams, but streaming will offer this facility at a fraction of the cost, and I will be able to download all the series when I want to see them.

This Discovery is totally overtaken by 3 programs, American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. There is only so much abuse I can take from these programs too. Occasionally they may air something interesting, but these programs can be down streamed at any time anyway.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I absolutely hate the fact that the history channel is not about history anymore! For example, they used to have these British documentaries about the eastern front ww2. I think it was 45 min covering 3 months per episode following a specific campaign. The graphics were not that flashy with no added bull. You will never forget the movements and battle lines of the Crimea. I Think it was called "the battles of ww2". These types of info-rich docs don't really show up much anymore. Now its all bloody reality TV star flash and little science, only the animals are left and perhaps myth-busters. That's why I prefer books. Even the best documentary is only an introduction. Don't even get me started on all the experts online.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

5. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (26-Nov-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I got my new DVD set today and since i am suppose to be on vacation for 2 weeks i figured i will kill the day watching it. Well it is nice to just pause and continue to watch in crystal clear audio and video with all the extras loaded to the brim on the DVD. Worth the R500 I spend on it. As for data streaming and downloading... i don't know...

Our best speeds are good but the cost is scary... So i also got back into my old hobby "building tech" Electronics and so on and since i got the time i build a few devices and got myself a guide to programming properly. Book was like R250 not bad investment at all. I am planning to build myself a server soon. This will stream audio video to the TV and entertainment system.

But if i consider what type of money i spend on DSTV and my 3G internet... Yea i can buy a nice car... and insure it...
    peace is a state of mind

Email problem
    Thanks
    I took the decision to dump DSTV about 2 years ago. I was also really only watching it for sports. Can't say I've missed it, even this year when there were 2 world cups. And I saved over R12k in the process.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGee View Post
    I took the decision to dump DSTV about 2 years ago. I was also really only watching it for sports. Can't say I've missed it, even this year when there were 2 world cups. And I saved over R12k in the process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSTV.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	6071

3 guesses who the target group is.

Simple truth is some pay more then others and you have to ask yourself why? What happened to equality? But the truth is as it stands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSTV2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	6072

So to keep mom and dad happy i will pay R425 to R699 as a minimum?

The packages is not there for "budget" it is there to FORCE people to pay more and actually honestly there movies are not that good DVDs are not that expensive and screw internet streaming because then you have to deal with another monopoly and they are just as expensive as DSTV

So thankfully as long as DVDs exist and good DVD players are available DSTV and Telkom can go suck on some eggs.
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    I tried the streaming route and found it didn't work for me. The data costs and the inconvenience was not worth it. I agree DSTV is expensive, but if you add up the data costs for what you get etc - I just stuck it out - I now have a package whereby I pay only for when it is switched on .. i.e. i phone them to switch it off and on etc - so if I am away then I am not paying for it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I absolutely hate the fact that the history channel is not about history anymore! For example, they used to have these British documentaries about the eastern front ww2. I think it was 45 min covering 3 months per episode following a specific campaign. The graphics were not that flashy with no added bull. You will never forget the movements and battle lines of the Crimea. I Think it was called "the battles of ww2". These types of info-rich docs don't really show up much anymore. Now its all bloody reality TV star flash and little science, only the animals are left and perhaps myth-busters. That's why I prefer books. Even the best documentary is only an introduction. Don't even get me started on all the experts online.
    I agree 100 percent on that. I hate the fact that most of the documentary channels are now mostly showing reality shows. Enough of pawn stars already.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am also considering dropping DSTV as programmes are getting worse and you only get to watch repeat movies. The service is over rated and far too expensive (discriminatory?)

Better would be to take a night out once a week and go to a real movie (I pay 1/2 price) and maybe a light dinner. I'ts always better on the big screen.
    I always have work to do at night so I don't have time to watch the crap on TV. Sport over weekends are terrible and we can always go to a venue with a big screen to share the atmosphere if we really want to see a match.

Its time to change the couch potato life to something more interesting.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast