I hope someone will be able to assist. We recently decided to buy a "renovator's dream" property. Everything went as planned, until I started asking for confirmation of the occupation date. In the offer to purchase, we agreed on occupation on registration, or 1 March 2014. The estate agent then contacted me, requesting we sign an addendum amending the occupation date, as "the property was yet to register in the seller's name". We have already been approached by the registration and transfer attorneys to sign and do payment. Nonetheless, we agreed and signed the addendum, stipulating that we would be allowed to take occupation of the property on 1 April 2014. I arranged the move and all other logistical issues accordingly. When I informed the agent of our arrangements, said agent told me again that they hope to have the property registered in the seller's name before then, as they were not able to get the previous owners (the property was sold on auction to the current owner/seller) to move out before registration in the name of the seller is confirmed. They merely told us to extend our lease agreement at the house we currently reside in, as they were still waiting for the rates clearance certificate from the municipality, and there is no telling when they will receive it, and subsequently, when the property will be registered in the name of the seller. This after we have already given notice at our current landlords. My question is, what options do we have available? Can we force them to honour the addendum (and move in on the agreed date)? Should we cancel the purchase? Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. (Bear in mind, all suspensive conditions in the deed of purchase has been met.)
Thanks!