Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone like cars?

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    That said anything that doesn't run on a computer is my friend
    Hahaha,yeah working on these new cars is nothing like tuning a carburetor.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by league_of_ordinary_men View Post
    Hahaha,yeah working on these new cars is nothing like tuning a carburetor.
    it is a nightmare... LOL Give me my old carbs I know just enough to keep them going
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head, with a degree you separate the hard working fools from the smart people, unfortunately I fall into the uneducated fool category. If I hadn't wasted all that time in my life working like a dog, and educated myself instead. I would be very smart rich man today, instead after 22 years in business I still count the pennies I make instead managing my wealth.

Let this be a lesson for all you youngsters out there, education is the key to success.(cash is king but without being educated on what to do with it chances are you gona waste it) If you want to work hard all your life become an artisan, if you want to enjoy the riches of life, get educated with a degree.

I still believe that if I go back and finish my studies or at least study to become a businessman or how to manage my money, I could change my future. I have tons of experience just not the certificate on the wall.

Like Adrian, I work like a dog, call them hobbies or what ever you want, you still have to work to make a living. Smart people make other people work to get rich, by making that statement we open a whole new thread (what is rich?)

I dunno, some people have the Midas touch. We were talking last night and he said that he has already made more money this year than he ever made in any year before (no stress, just doing his own thing in his own way)

The rest of us will simply go through life muddling along. I agree, we, the stupid ones work our a$$es off whilst the clever ones leverage other people. The problem is that many of us simply do not have the mental capability to manage large organizations. The idea of "if you can dream it you can do it" is simply rubbish. We went to a house concert on Thursday evening and spent the evening with Terra Naomi. No matter what I do, I will never ever play guitar like her or sing like her because I am rather tone deaf. I cannot remember simple things so I will never ever manage a large business. The point that I am trying to make is that we all have our place in the universe and some happen to be good at making money. Each of us are different and good at different things, I think the trick is to accept one's limitations and live a satisfying life in spite of what those limitations might be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    R64K is a bit steep for that car.
    No Adrian, R64K for that car is not a bad price, it was the last model of that era and that adds value, in another 10-20 years that car will easily sell for R150 to R250K. Pity it's been modded, Front spoiler, exhaust, door mirrors, wheels, etc.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I agree Adrian.

Dave, or R600 k as in the case of mustang, the thing is as old as the hills but worth a mint, it doesn't even have head rests

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't have time this morning to go into details, but some thing interesting about older folk, I found that the 2 "richest" people I know personally, both worked for companies and only started their companies after the age of 45 and both worked their butts off, they are both in their 70s, one doesn't work anymore and his wealth is determined by the interest rate and the other still works, his wealth is determined by both the interest rate and income from the business he still runs, I give it 5 - 10 more years and the kids will destroy (spend) his hard earned money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Dave you want to know something really scary, when I purchased the house I live in, there was an MG the one that looks like and e type jag with the long bonnet parked in one of the garages, was auctioned off for around R20 000, still had the black leather seats and everything else original, chrome bumpers the works. A person contacted me a couple months after I purchased the house and told me he had offered the previous owner R250 000 for the car.

One of my customers has just imported a left hand drive old mustang from the USA, cleaned it up a bit and now it is apparently worth R650 k, makes you think buying old cars and restoring them could be a good business venture.

Another customer is sourcing and fixing up old V8 bakkies, making a small fortune selling them.
    You know how many times we all make those mistakes, by not knowing the true value of something we have.

Provided that Mustang is from the '60's and is in mint original condition, I can see how it will fetch R650K

Building-up old cars is a very costly exercise, but it can make money, if you're building the right car. Take for instance the Mini Cooper 'S' from 1960's, would have cost about 150 pounds new, if it has a racing pedigree it will be more than R700K today. Or the Mini mk1 from the 50's, you would've found them in a lucky packet (not literally) back then, I know of one that has just auctioned for R379K, in perfect original condition.
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Thanks

If you have a 1948 Tucker, I want to be your friend, it's worth about R5.2M, but there were only 152 production models ever made... rare indeed.
    Today Defines Tomorrow

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (27-Aug-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The trick is parts, to keep it original.
    Last edited by ians; 28-Aug-13 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes getting original parts is really important. For the most part you can get almost anything for a VW Golf MK1 I want to restore my old 1990 City Golf. It is in real good condition as is got it with a couple of dings and that but it will be well worth restoring it keeping it as original as possible. None of that big sound all that crap. I might lose the door handles... Install a "door popper" system and upgrade to ABS I never liked drum breaks. Other then that I am keeping the 4 speed and the 1600 engine as original but may upgrade the white golf rims to the stainless steel 14" rims they look the same but are much much more durable. I am keeping the original colour but will add double coats and do a stone chip finish underneath to prevent rust. Will also do a special rust treatment coating inside the door itself and drill a small hole so that "if" water gets in it can get out.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast