Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running a business from a residential neighborhood?

Thanks
    Just do it, as Peter Carruthers says "This is Africa where it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."
    But if you are a good neighbor, keep it real, don't do anything that will disturb them unnecessarily.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    I personally would rather have a guy operating a quite business from his home than the continuous barking dog that we spoke about on another thread that I had to sort out with a cracker !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as you're not conducting a scheduled trade or making much of a disturbance to the neighbourhood you're OK. BTW - Servicing motor vehicles other than your own is a scheduled trade. So is washing cars!!

Factors the municipality can use as tools to restrict your activities are number of staff employed, availability of off-street parking, occupational health and safety issues, and environmental issues - all of which can give quite a lot of scope to the EHP that will investigate a neighbour's complaint.

Ultimately if it isn't obvious you are running a business from a residential site, you're unlikely to have any problems.

Thanks
    We have been running our biz from home for the last 10yrs. Had a large factory that employed 120 and worked 7 days a week 24hrs, then China came in and we could not compete. So we must be one of the few that ended up back in the garage. It is a lot better though, smaller overheads, smaller staff and making the same small amount of money without all the major headaches. I did phone the municipality and asked if I needed a biz licence and they advised that as long as it is not food related I did not need one. Long time ago so things could have changed.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I did phone the municipality and asked if I needed a biz licence and they advised that as long as it is not food related I did not need one.
    Not sure where that comes from because it does not only depend on food. What about noise, traffic, parking, prostitution related business, time of doing business etc etc etc .

Thanks
    I do understand, but as I mentioned it was 10 years ago and like SARS the criteria changes all the time. None of the issues you mention are a problem at the moment esp Prostitution, although I have a feeling the people across the road def do deal drugs which I have heard the police have been monitoring. I have the utmost respect for my neighbours etc and if my biz had to develop to a stage where we felt it is time to get business premises we would have to look into that.

Thanks
    I received my rates, elec account and a sum of just over R 4000.00 had been journaled over and above the normal billings.
    Thinking this was an error or maybe backdating rates as does happen I enquired and was told I am now zoned Commercial and this was backdated to 2011. It now works out to an extra R 500.00 a month. I am not complaining as I am far better off working from home than having to pay rent elsewhere. Has this happened to any one else?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Wow, that is interesting.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I also opened a shop in my home. it was indeed flourishing . Some of my neighbours took an advantage and made lots of credits that they did not honour to pay. the only challenge that I had ,was that your clients or customers would not allow you to close in time and you end up working long hours and not in some cases go to church: Adam Khathide

10. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (26-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Your business should add value to the environment but a business located in a residential area will be subjected to the will of the local Civic Association.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast