Thread: Resign or 3 months notice

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks

Resign or 3 months notice

Hi all,

I have a friend that was asked to either hand in his resignation or they give him 3 months notice,now the thing is he did nothing wrong,no warnings no nothing.So what should he do?

Thanks
    Information formation? why, who , what , why?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Sure what would you like to know I'm just not sure where to start.

Thanks
    The beginning. There will all ways be a reason. He said she said what? Or did what? You say nothing I suspect a wider plot. In any case there is all ways a reason, whether form his fault or the company’s fault. Economic or E, restructuring or &^%$?
    I have no actual legal advice, sorry, a bit doff you know

I would take the 3 months to get a new job and get over it. Recourse is always negative unless the amount is large enough to recover, after costs, effort and plak.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Okay from the top of my head,the business he works at was sold so there's new owners,he probably worked there 4 maybe 5 years.The manager has been drilling him including the staff since day one(she worked for the previous boss as well).He was called in to the office a day or two ago and was told the salary he is getting is way above what he should and he is just dead weight and the new boss can't have dead weight in his business so he has a chose to resign or get 3 months notice.He was the head butcher and cooling technician all in one.He never received any warnings,notices or anything that might suggest he's in trouble.I asked him today was he fired or retrenched and he said fired.So any advise and help please.What should he do?Who should he go to?...etc And from what it looks like the new boss is trying to get rid of all the staff members that he might think is to expensive and not needed.

Thanks
    A business is its staff, finish and klaar. Unhappy staff is like aids, it might take a while to kill and the death certificate will probably make no mention of the true cause. The new owner sounds like a real tool. If I had any advice for the new boss, it would be this. Hire 18 year olds and pay minimum. Think of all they money you would save. Wow.
    Perhaps it is a good thing he is forced out, he might be better off in the long run

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Based on post 5, that sounds like a flawed process. But the problem might not be what the company is doing, but the understanding of what is actually happening and the language used to describe the case (do we have a broken telephone problem here?)

It's OK for a company to restructure in a situation like this, but there is a process that has to be followed.

Once followed, the reason for termination would be "dismissal for operational reasons."

Typical packages would be notice + 1 week for each completed year of service (+ accumulated leave). So all said, "3 months notice" doesn't sound unreasonable from a value point of view.

Thanks
    Resign or get 3 months notice. Does not make any sense. What is in it for him if he resign? That is a win for the employer all the way. The employer might wish for a resignation, that will suit him just fine. But what is in it for the employee?

And what is this 3 months notice all about? Does the employee have to leave the premises immediately and get 3 months pay? Or must he work for his normal pay for 3 months and then go?
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Dave is right with the 1 weeks pay per year worked.This would be for retrenchment or basically a package to leave.He would not be required to work this 3 month period.

I don't suggest he resigns though,as the employer would not be required to pay for 3 month or 1 week per year worked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roryf View Post
    I don't suggest he resigns though,as the employer would not be required to pay for 3 month or 1 week per year worked.
    The point I am making.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~