Hello,

My husband is employed thru a labour broker for the past 3 years. He has a monthly contract with them. In September 2012 we queried his net pay-out (salary) as it was R807 less than the prior month. They told us that he was treated as a weekly employee on their payroll and that is why the net amount is different every month. (due to paye & uif deductions that varies). However, they do state on the payslip that his salary is based on 173.333 hours per month... = which is a normal month.
I would like to know if he can insist that they treat him as a monthly employee? It's difficult to budget monthly because we never know what he will get out. I have done my own calculations and has found that they owe him ytd (ending Sept) R358.00 woth of PAYE.
He is only one of thousands of "monthly" contract employees that has this issue... They (the labour broker) has agreed to have a meeting with the contractors next week to listen to their queries and to explain the taxes to them. But, we know from past experience, when we had issues w.r.t salaries & leave calculations that they are not interested in changing things, or even want to listen to your complaints....
What can they do? What would their rights be?

Secondly,
My husband received an 4.5% (it's not much, but at least something!) increase w.e.f. 1 April 2012. As his last increase was in June 2011, they worked this 4.5% out as a pro-rata amount, i.e. 4.5 x 10 / 12 = 3.75% increase was thus applied from 1 April 2012. Am I correct in saying that he would be entitled to have received the remainder of the .75% from 1 June 2012? (this did not happend... so they owe him "back pay"?)

Thanks.