Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid electricity meters

Email problem
    Thanks
    @Panther
    Cost of installation will vary depending on your current set-up and conditions in the building, as well as what type of meter you install. Conventional integrated meters and wireless meters are cheap to install (maybe around R150 per meter), split meters (meter unit and interface are separated) with a customer interface unit (keypad) will cost a bit more (around R350 per meter). Conventional meters are cheap to buy and wireless meters are more expensive (by about 50%). If you install a conventional split meter, it will cost you approximately R800 per meter. This, is assuming the installation is a simple retrofitting exercise with no additional electrical work required.
    Some companies will lease the meter or allow you to buy it on hire purchase, you would have to find out by contacting them directly.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa van Vliet View Post
    @Panther
    Cost of installation will vary depending on your current set-up and conditions in the building, as well as what type of meter you install. Conventional integrated meters and wireless meters are cheap to install (maybe around R150 per meter), split meters (meter unit and interface are separated) with a customer interface unit (keypad) will cost a bit more (around R350 per meter). Conventional meters are cheap to buy and wireless meters are more expensive (by about 50%). If you install a conventional split meter, it will cost you approximately R800 per meter. This, is assuming the installation is a simple retrofitting exercise with no additional electrical work required.
    Some companies will lease the meter or allow you to buy it on hire purchase, you would have to find out by contacting them directly.
    Vanessa, may i ask where you obtained these rates?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Hi Sparks
    There is a sliding scale method which is aimed at the low consumption user but for us other mortals our electricity price only changes twice, once in summer and again in winter. However this year the prices are the same. I have treunichated a report from the Ekhureleni Council (East Rand for those not living on the Highveld) to show how it works

According to the Ekhureleni Website I find the following:
    Tarriff A is working on a sliding scale and is for low consumption users who use less that 650 KW per month.
    I use anywhere around 1500 to 2000 units per month in my house.
    This is still Greek to me..............

I purchased from the municipal kiosk on Sept 25 2012 for R350 and got 402.9 Kwh = 87c/Kwh ( First purchase for the month )
    Directly after that on the same day I purchased R 40 as a check and got 36.6 Kwh = R1.09 / Kwh.

On Oct 3 I purchased again R 350 and got 379.1 Kwh = 92 c/Kwh ( Again first purchase for the month )

So this does not make any sense !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    This is still Greek to me..............

I purchased from the municipal kiosk on Sept 25 2012 for R350 and got 402.9 Kwh = 87c/Kwh ( First purchase for the month )
    Directly after that on the same day I purchased R 40 as a check and got 36.6 Kwh = R1.09 / Kwh.

On Oct 3 I purchased again R 350 and got 379.1 Kwh = 92 c/Kwh ( Again first purchase for the month )

So this does not make any sense !
    Martinco, all municipalities are charging in a similar fashion but the rates may differ.
    I suggest that you consult with your municipality, or even better visit them on-line and download the schedule of rates for electricity tariffs.
    I am sure that you are not getting done in but you need to understand that prepaid electricity is the most expensive form of electricity that we have in South Africa
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (04-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have two meters, on the same floor, when I purchase simultaneously for the same amount for each, on the one I pay R1.16 Kw and had a R8 receipt taken off my total payment, and on the other I pay 93.5c a KW straight. You tell me. I do not want to complain, in case they put up the other meter to R1.16 as well.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Vanessa, may i ask where you obtained these rates?
    These are our prices. I am the manager of CitiqPrepaid
    www.citiqprepaid.co.za - though our prices are not on the website as yet

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I have two meters, on the same floor, when I purchase simultaneously for the same amount for each, on the one I pay R1.16 Kw and had a R8 receipt taken off my total payment, and on the other I pay 93.5c a KW straight. You tell me. I do not want to complain, in case they put up the other meter to R1.16 as well.
    You may be paying an admin charge of sorts on one token and not the other - contact the vending service provider and ask them to explain it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,682 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing that we're facing at the moment is there needs to be a clear differentiation between municipal prepaid meters and private system prepaid meters. We do installations for a private system prepaid meter crowd, and their clients have certainly got the wrong idea as to what they are getting. They keep asking us to take out the municipal meter and think this replaces the municipal metering system.

Could the folk selling these things please take note and clearly diffentiate between the two in their marketing efforts and communication with the client, please. It's going to save everyone a heck of a lot of needless hassle.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa van Vliet View Post
    These are our prices. I am the manager of CitiqPrepaid
    www.citiqprepaid.co.za - though our prices are not on the website as yet
    Do you actually have qualified registered electricians who come to you, buy one unit, go to your customer, install the unit, test it and then issue an electrical certificate of compliance all for R150.00? I really find this hard to swallow

Thanks
    An interesting development from this thread !

I had a meeting with a person that drew up the block rates that the municipality uses and in my case it was found that there are irregularities and as this person has a very good contact at NERSA, this case is going to be referred to them and could end up in a audit of the municipal accounts.

As soon as this is sorted I shall post the official rates for our municipality and indicate how it can be verified.

By the way, according to this person, there is NO difference between pre-paid and conventional metering = same price and formula.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast