Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Ideas 101

Thanks

Too busy to shop? too Phat to go get groceries?

Ok, so the problem in this case is that many people have very busy days and don’t always have the time to get groceries

An old business idea is to deliver groceries to people. I have seen a few come and go, but it can really work. There is a market for this amongst the upper middle-class and wealthy.
    Negotiate with a big grocer for a good price, have the grocer pack the orders. Have a good return policy with the grocer. A simple system for charging clients. Use students who have a vehicle to deliver. People can order via sms, call, email and website. Focus marketing on the wealthier suburbs of the bigger city centres.
    Have something special or different about the business, eg. All female staff all of them wear polo riding outfits or something, the crop and all, different and funky. People remember a business name if something in the business stands out.
    Everybody needs food but who has time to get it.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Negotiate with a big grocer for a good price, have the grocer pack the orders. Have a good return policy with the grocer. A simple system for charging clients.
    Or a variant that I (my wife, actually) subscribed to years ago - once a week we'd get a basket of quality fresh goodies delivered to our door.

The supplier was a farm stall.
    Staples were things like eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes and a bread of some sort (there were about 4 variants that were supplied on rotation).
    Then there'd be a few "surprise" goodies - jams, different types of mushrooms, cheeses.
    And a recipe to make best use of some of the week's supplies.

It was pretty cool as it introduced us to some unusual ingredients and recipes that we might not have discovered or tried otherwise, and of course it really helped the wife come up with some variety in our meals without too much heavy thinking and research.

It wasn't cheap, but with all the various benefits, it wasn't that expensive either - fair value for money we thought.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think that a lot of people use shopping as an excuse to get out for a bit - that is probably why these ventures don't succeed.

4. Thanks given for this post:

IanF (07-Jul-13)

Thanks
    You are right, people do like to shop. According to psychology it’s a power thing, when people are confronted with so much choice and they themselves get to choose exactly what they want, it provides a sense of power. Perhaps because women don’t share the same societal power that men do, they perhaps seek out other avenues of “power intake” and therefore like shopping more than men.

I can remember lots of these type businesses that have failed in the past. But I believe that the time available for people to shop is becoming less with time, therefore the market for such a business can only grow in the future

The client chooses from a catalogue with different sections
    Groceries (From one grocer)
    Take away (Mc D, KFC, Steers......as many as possible)
    Medication (over the counter, from one pharmacy)
    Alcohol (one shop)

The catalogue can have lots of sections depending on whether it is practicle and profitable. Even add hardware, movies and Stationary
    (If the client makes a special order from a shop you don’t normally go to, they will pay a premium)
    The business could be marketed as a home delivery and business delivery service.
    Now a business that can deliver multiple items from multiple shops to satisfy many needs will be superior to a business that only delivers groceries.
    I hope your memory is good, because in 10 years there will be big established business all over the place doing exactly what was discussed. At that time I would be requesting a noddy badge and a sexual favour from anybody who disses my idea, HaHa

The fact is that you can have a good business idea a good market for it, but you are a bad businessman. Or you are a great businessman, have a great idea, but no market. Or you are a great businessman, there is a market, but your business idea stinks
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Us old men need to go shopping to make sure that all them young & moist "strawberries" that we remember actually do exist!

7. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (08-Jul-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Us old men need to go shopping to make sure that all them young & moist "strawberries" that we remember actually do exist!
    Shame

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think that a lot of people use shopping as an excuse to get out for a bit - that is probably why these ventures don't succeed.

Well for one on this idea you saving people time, that they can use to get for a bit and do something other then shopping.

I'll say this much, the most important thing about coming up with business ideas is the ability to think laterally.
    While it is easy to say any idea wont work, I think it is better to challenge ones lateral thinking concept by trying to see how one can get an idea to work that others say it wont work.

And as we can see the idea may not work directly but perhaps the idea can be molded and shaped to come up with a new concept that does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Or a variant that I (my wife, actually) subscribed to years ago - once a week we'd get a basket of quality fresh goodies delivered to our door.

Thanks
    I have never thought of buying the week's or month's groceries as shopping, buying yes, comparing prices, maybe.
    Shopping to me is when you decide to get a new pair of shoes or, clothes or camping equipment, because that is when you shlep from shop to shop looking for something that you like, is suitable or you can afford.
    If you bought a new pair of shoes every week it would cease to be shopping.

And yes I agree, a site that allows you to order the groceries, even the hardware online to be delivered at the same price as if you went and bought it yourself, traveling and parking expenses included, that would be something I would look at.
    After that going to a supermarket to see that you are not being screwed by the online service prices, now that would be shopping!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I think the business idea makes more sense when one considers that the delivery service wont totally replace an individuals shopping habits, instead it is a supplementary shopping service for those too busy on a particular day to shop.

Thanks
    Sorry, that sounded a bit obvious, but many see this kind of thing as a either-or choice

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast