Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: We are so fickle and cowardly

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    What makes you think that Cameron has cheated? Because some "suurgat" Aussies raised an objection? Do you trust the Aussies? Do you know enough about the swimming rules to say for sure that he had cheated? Why did nobody else object?

I am sure that the other contestants would have objected if there was the slightest doubt about the outcome of the contest. I think Cameron is a great athlete and he has made us proud. He is a deserved champion!
    For your information I was not at all aware that the issue had been raised by Aussies. I picked up the thing from Cameron's own statement(s).
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Suspended
    Thanks
    He won. why dont you just be happy for him and support him. Its not as if he took money like the cricketers to LOSE a match! You go Cameran :-)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    He won. why dont you just be happy for him and support him. Its not as if he took money like the cricketers to LOSE a match! You go Cameran :-)
    I sincerely believe that Cameron may still have won. He is an incredible swimmer at that stroke.
    Happy? No, definitely not. I feel frustrated and disappointed that a class act like him felt he needed to cheat. I am appalled that cheating in that stroke is connived and colluded at. I play golf, and have won a club championship. So has my son recently and he hopes to turn pro soon. I golf it is the norm that a player will call even an unintended breach on himself.

This was the Olympics. It is supposed to be the ultimate test of athleticism and sportsmanship. It is very apparent that the highest standards of sportsmanship are otherwise enforced across the board. No question whatsoever, e.g, just one false start on a sprint and you are gone.
    That is why it is tragic, sad and disappointing!; that in this one event there seems to have been a collective mindset that cheating is OK.

And that is, in part, why I have raised this issue. At a certain point it explains much of the ills of the World and our own society. We have already agreed, quite enthusiastically in another thread, that SA is a very anomic society. Anomie starts with bending rules, "finding loopholes", seeing everything as grey instead of the black and white that it actually is, excusing misconduct, rationalizing deviance in its many forms.

So, insofar as Cameron admits that he won by employing a kick that is not part of the breast stroke, but still feeling comfortable with this, he represents the anomic society of which he is part, and its culture. Insofar as we wish to justify, excuse rationalize and obfuscate his actions we reinforce our anomie.

Now we should therefore not be surprised, nor complain, when our leaders excel at this. After all we, as the subjects, have applauded deviance.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I fully agree with Chris, we are happy to bend rules when it suits us and we are happy to complain when other bend rules and it doesn't suit us. Cameron knows perfectly well that what he did was illegal but we feel its ok because he won. What would ee have said had he been beaten by somebody who kicked four times instead of his three.

You see , there is no such thing as truth. Some see his actions as taking advantage of a loophole, some see it as justified and some see it as illegal.

Another 'truth' problem; should Caster be allowed to compete with women on a one on one basis...is it true that she is a man and a woman....'truth' in this case is what we agree it to be, nothing more.

5. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (11-Aug-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I fully agree with Chris, we are happy to bend rules when it suits us and we are happy to complain when other bend rules and it doesn't suit us. Cameron knows perfectly well that what he did was illegal but we feel its ok because he won. What would ee have said had he been beaten by somebody who kicked four times instead of his three.

You see , there is no such thing as truth. Some see his actions as taking advantage of a loophole, some see it as justified and some see it as illegal.

Another 'truth' problem; should Caster be allowed to compete with women on a one on one basis...is it true that she is a man and a woman....'truth' in this case is what we agree it to be, nothing more.
    Thank you Adrianh. Yours is the first unequivocal endorsement of support out of possibly thousands as this has been also posted on many other social media sites.
    As regards "truth" I accept that philosophically truth is indeed elusive. The reality, however, is that it is made to be so by purposeful, intentional, convenient intellectualism .. MOST of the time. No question!
    You remember the nonsense about Virodene .. later followed by Thabo Mbeki's denialism. So truth is usually elusive among honest men, honestly seeking it as with the fancy sub-atomic super nuclear collider particle stuff. The rest of the time it is simply denied and obfuscated as a matter of dishonest, fanciful, mischievous, even diabolical minds.
    As regards Caster I am informed that it is simply a matter of chromozones in her case. She just DOES not have any male chromozones. You know the X Y stuff . ... and that is regarded as ultimate proof and definitive that she is female.
    So I accept that as the truth. However it is obvious that she has an overabundance of male characteristics, Apparently we all have cross-gender characteristics and it is often more pronounced in some. I think that is why I just love pink shirts. I am just bemused as to why it took so long for the scientists to settle her issue. A chromozone test can take as little as an hour.
    It is interesting (and obvious) that she has been "hiding her form". Nobody will be more shocked than me if she is beaten.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The notion 'loophole in the rules' is also an interesting one. We know that although the posted speed limit is 60, we won't get fined if we do 69, so we do 69. When we do get fined then we complain because the cops should not be bothering with us bending the rules a bit, they should rather be fining the taxi's who, in our view, bend the rules a lot more than we do...

...so its ok to bend some rules when it suits us and to complain when others do it....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris, what is your position on the making of law that cannot be enforced?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ChrisNG53 > Are we sheep or are we critics? Did I accept that gold was won via cheating? No I did not but what can I do about it? Firstly why must I? Is there not enough media on this, is there not enough questions being ask? Is admitting guilt not good enough? What about returning the gold will that satisfy you?

What exactly is the problem here? So you wish to make me a sheep you want me to admit that I am a follower with no meaning no will of my own. Your frustration is noted alongside your views.

Tell you what, review every game every sport in the history of humanity and you will find that many mistakes was made many people cheated. But that is because we are human not perfection.

Never forget that being human includes being flawed.

I am a sheep just because I didn’t fly to England to jump up and down on a camera man demanding someone to give his gold back!?

Maybe I didn’t act because my rationality pointed to the fact that it IS NOTED by all involved. Secondly I am not an expert so on what will I base the tantrum and demands? What exactly do you want a layman “in this sport” to do?

You cannot demand something if you don’t understand it, and that is not being a sheep it is called being rational.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Chris, what is your position on the making of law that cannot be enforced?
    In jurisprudential terms it is a VERY BIG NO, NO. This is because it precipitates a culture of disrespect for the law. So the rule is that if you cannot enforce the law, don't make it.
    The classic case is the historical one involving Prohibition. Its "unenforceability" spawned organised crime and the Mafia. The rest is history.
    It is also why Courts will not grant what is known as a "brutum fulmen", i.e useless thunderbolt -- even if you are entitled to win the case. If the court's order cannot be enforced it will not grant it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Teco -- I am not at all with you. When you have clear facts, indisputable facts, you are in a position to make a judgement call .. on those facts. That is why you are a member of homo sapiens. You can't just choose to see the facts as unclear because your heart starts dictating this.

On your stance it would be quite impossible to have courts of law as, in so many cases, the facts are actually NOT clear and have to receive very rigorous and trying resolution.
    That is simply NOT the case here. The facts are simple enough.

As a human being it gives me NO pleasure to have to point this out. Cameron is a decent human being. He has family and friends. They are all effected by what happens to him and what is said about him.

However, the public interest outweighs his personal interests. It is nearly always the case that someone has to dispassionately say what is wrong. I have spent over 35 years doing this on an entirely dispassionate basis. Only once was I reversed on appeal.

However, I still insist that this one you can judge for yourself. It is really that simple.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.