Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing iron from borehole water

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

diy water purification western cape

Dear Eugene

I have been reading up on ground water purification for the past two years. I wanted a system which was cheap and effective. I wanted to put my red iron filled well point water through a system where I can use it in my house and also drink it.

I did the following.

I got two thousand litre flow bins and one two and a half thousand storage tank. On the first flow bin I installed a normal swimming pool sand filter. I then pump my well point water (very red to a point where it stain the walls) into the flow bin and filter it through the swimming pool sand filter. I add half a cup Chlorine to the water and pump it for about four hours. The chlorine oxidises with the iron and the iron is then catched in the sand filter which I backwash out. After four hours the red water becomes sparkling clean like a normal swimming pool.

When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water.

Metabisulfite is what the use in wine, cooldrinks and lots of foodstuffs. Metabisulfite is also an anti oxidant and a preservative. I have been using my system for quite some time with great success. I produce about 4000 lt of clean drinking water which I then pump into my storage tank for home use.

Cost involve in this mini water purifying system is very minimal.

You can definitely contact me for more information. I am not a salesman wanting to sell you filter systems that does not work.

Regards

Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I live on a residential fram Estate near Somerset West and had my borehole water tested recently. I note that the pH of my water is 5.7 but my major concern is the high iron content: 1.71 mg/l

Currently I am only using my borehole water for irrigation, but would like to have it backfed into my house for domestic use. I am concerned about the high iron content that it may stain pipes, bathrooms etc. and believe that there are automatic systems available for the removal of the iron to make it suitable for domestic use.

Believe me, I'm no technical wizz and a couple of guys suggested that I install a manganese dioxide filter and what not (all sounds space aged to me), but the quoted prices for these systems run around R30000+ for these installations. Surely there should be cheaper alternatives or am I missing the boat on this one? If anyone has knowledge of this or could direct me to someone that might assist, I would be grateful.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Jughead (06-Jan-18)

Thanks
    Hello Theo

Could you post pictures of your setup. I am interested in going a similar route. I basically have everything except the pool sand filter.

Quote Originally Posted by theoventer View Post
    Dear Eugene

I have been reading up on ground water purification for the past two years. I wanted a system which was cheap and effective. I wanted to put my red iron filled well point water through a system where I can use it in my house and also drink it.

I did the following.

I got two thousand litre flow bins and one two and a half thousand storage tank. On the first flow bin I installed a normal swimming pool sand filter. I then pump my well point water (very red to a point where it stain the walls) into the flow bin and filter it through the swimming pool sand filter. I add half a cup Chlorine to the water and pump it for about four hours. The chlorine oxidises with the iron and the iron is then catched in the sand filter which I backwash out. After four hours the red water becomes sparkling clean like a normal swimming pool.

When the water is sparkling clean I pump it over to the next flow bin. The only problem then is that the Chlorine and chloramine is very high. I then add Potassium Metabisulfite to the water which takes out both chlorine and chloramine from the water. This chemical works immediately with immediate effect. The potassium
    metabisulphite reduces the PH to about 5.7. I then add soda ash which takes my PH to about 7.1. This water is now iron free with no bacteria. Colourless, odourless, germ free drinking water.

Metabisulfite is what the use in wine, cooldrinks and lots of foodstuffs. Metabisulfite is also an anti oxidant and a preservative. I have been using my system for quite some time with great success. I produce about 4000 lt of clean drinking water which I then pump into my storage tank for home use.

Cost involve in this mini water purifying system is very minimal.

You can definitely contact me for more information. I am not a salesman wanting to sell you filter systems that does not work.

Regards

Theo

Thanks
    E-mail me and I will send you photos and all info for free. The difference between my system and that of Andries Lombard is that my water is drinkable. He is the first guy that is on the right track.

Regards

theo

5. Thanks given for this post:

Jughead (06-Jan-18)

Thanks
    Yeah, I watched his video a few weeks ago. Impressed by it. So was heading in that direction until I came across your post.

What caught my eye was the "Drinking Water" end result.

If the Borehole/Wellpoint water can be "Drinkable" (Potable) , then you can have more use for it .

Thank You and Thank You to all for contributing to this discussion. Lots of great information.

Thank You

Thanks
    PM sent with my email address.

kind regards

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Theo,I would like some more info with regards to your system as well also with regards to the qty's of the chemicals used comparative to water and where one can buy these as i would like to connect my well point to my house.I have been successful in removing the iron with an in line chlorine system (Klorman) that works very well(water goes through this to a settling tank).However as i am not comfortable with the chlorine as a total defense against bacteria etc i have not as yet connected to my house.Your information and advise will be greatly appreciated as all the water companies is using the drought to milk us dry for stupid amounts of money.

Thanks
    Jako

The removing of iron with an inline chlorine system will work but...... pumping it over into a settling tank and then wait for the bus to come takes ages. Use mineral soft Granular HTH chlorine. Ad a sand filter which takes the debris and iron out. With this filter you can backwash the iron out. This takes 2 - 4 hours for clean water.

Chlorine as a total Defense
    Chlorine is used in 98% of water treatment plants right over the world. Chlorine is your best disinfectant and the key to germ destruction. It kills 99% viruses, bacteria such as salmonella, e-coli, and microbial waterborne pathogens including those that can cause typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera and legionnaires disease. I can go on and on...........

In our system we take chlorine and chloramines out completely. Again this is an instant process.

You can follow any system but with our concept it takes two to three hours from the ground to the tap. ( no holding periods or settling tanks)

You are welcome to E-mail me for more information ( theoventer@hotmail.com)

Regards

Theo

Thanks
    @theoventer

Your system sounds great.

Do you mind posting some photos of your setup and process (products used as well Chlorine/Potassium Metabisulfite / soda ash) please ?

Thank You (Not sure how to "like" your post )

Thanks
    Jughead

I only use three chemicals

Mineralsoft Granular HTH chlorine ( you buy this in any convenient store)

Potassium Metabisulfite ( Protea Chemicals)

Soda Ash ( you buy this in any convenient store)

Regards

Theo

12. Thanks given for this post:

Jughead (06-Jan-18)

Thanks
    Thank You Theo. I have sent you a PM with my email address. Greatly Appreciated.
    Thank You for providing us some valuable information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.