I happened upon this interesting forum due to the fact that I'm one of the stupid people who allowed the seller to obtain an electrical compliance certificate on our recently purchased house!! (hey - I agree)

I trusted the seller, as he is a lawywe (first mistake!!) Thinking that things are above board.

I needed some advice, as I don't want to go the long drawn-out and costly legal route, if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

long story short:

We purchased a property, asked the seller for a copy of the compliance certificate when we moved in - prior to reg, as we found a few items concerning. Seller, only gave us the COC once registered, for us to find that some items had not been listed on the COC, which made us sceptical.

We voiced this, and the electrician that issued the COC came out to see what the issue was. We pointed out our concerns, and have had the contractor out 4 times (he missed 3 other appointments without even cancelling - wasting our time), and has still not fixed everything, and refuses to give a new coc.

We also asked him, in the second last appointment for his registration proof, as we were getting more concerned. And were told "Its got nothing to do with you"

We're now in a position where we got another electrician out, who in 15 min had 2 pages of "problems" - OK - I know, many are out there to show others up on bad workmanship.

I now have a choice - get an AIA out to issue me with a report, but whereto from there? Reading some of the initial posts, this seems to be a lack of repsonse from the DOL to any of these reports.

Who is ultimately responsible for the cost of rectifying illegal/un-safe wiring/connections? is the seller responsible - do I go into a legal battle, or is it the contracter who's responsible, and with the history of his work, that's been drawn out for over a month, how long do I wait,?