Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - computer - tel lines - voip

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Are there not systems available that 1st try to route via voip and fall back to fixed line if it can't connect?
    Yes it seems they can all do that - receive on the telkom lines and dial out voip

Thanks
    Guys, I would really like to know what you are talking about when you say if your Internet is down, your VOIP is down. Are you talking about something like Skype?

As I understand it, VOIP is just replacing your traditional PABX system in the building. Nothing to do with your land line or cell line, which remains. It simply is a dedicated PC, preferably running Linux with PABX software, giving you control and reports. Something like Astrix that runs on Linux, which is better because viruses target Windows. (This PC have special 'cards' that take landlines as input and convert it to VOIP and vice versa. Can be digital or analog) But then again, your Internet is not even necessary connected to this PC, so viruses does not come into play. You keep your ADSL or whatever you use connected to your network.

Then this dedicated PC links all your IP phones wireless to your standalone Linux PC, which is now your PABX. You control the software and IP phones and do not need a technician when an extension is dead, paying R450 for a call out to trace and fix a broken copper wire in a wall box, hooked by the cleaning lady with her broom! Each IP phone has an extension and the PC gives you all the features of big PABX systems and messages, routing, automation, mail boxes, dialing plans, and all the whistles and bells. When the PC goes down, it is like your PABX goes down. No difference. It is totally independent from your network and Internet.

And you still need Telkom or/and a Cellphone service provider, probably both, as when you dial a cell number, it is routed via a cell provider, or when you dial a land line, it is routed via Telkom, giving you the cheapest rate like that. You have land line number(s) with hunting facilities in the Telkom exchange like normal, and you have a cell number for clients preferring to phone that, because they dial from a cellphone.(Have a simm card unit build into the PC) Everything routed via your Linux standalone PC which is just replacing your traditional PABX.

Biggest advantage is that your phones is now totally wireless,(not cordless plugged into an extension) except for power and you move your extensions without asking someone to come do it. Biggest downfall is the VOIP quality, with feedback on the line.(Hearing your own voice) Phone an IT company to experience what I am talking about. They all use it and can be irritating from time to time.

Hardware wise, the PC is by far cheaper than a PABX, but the telephone instruments can be pricey, depending how fancy you want to be. If it is a big building, you might need additional access points to cover distance. If you are computer literate, the biggest saving is over the long hall, saving on maintenance and call out fees/contracts.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Guys, I would really like to know what you are talking about when you say if your Internet is down, your VOIP is down. Are you talking about something like Skype?
    Well this is exactly what is happening to my wife's system ! She has a cable running from the server to the telephones and from the telephones to their individual computers. So when the internet is down, so are the telephone lines ! And depending on who you talk to they say that is the case with voip - and that is exactly why we are going the seperate telephone route.

As far as I know voip means voice over IP. Therefore if her internet is down, her communication is down - this is not my unqualified opinion, it is a fact with her and as I say most of the "technicians" I talk to say the same.

Thanks
    Well Kevin, that is why I suggest a separate PC, running Linux. Incorporating your network is possible, but looking for trouble. You are right, VOIP is anything that makes use of an IP, but in the industry it is taken for granted that VOIP is WiFi as well, ie. no cables running from PC to telephone. In my mind there is only two ways to do it. PABX or the way I described.

It is still not clear to me why your telephone lines is down when your Internet is down. Do you have Telkom and/or Cellphone lines? If not, what is the service on the Internet you use to make calls to landlines and cell phones? How do you get your internet service, landline ADSL, dedicated line? Or some wireless Service provider?

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In some cases if the line goes down then your "voice" and "data" goes down with it. I didn't know about the Linux solution mostly because I don't use it. "Most people don’t thanks to configuration and difficult troubleshooting.

I am not a big fan of the voice to IP conversion tech as you say the echo in it is a bit… well it is not what most people would like. That said the tech is getting better.

My reason why I like the traditional system is its simplicity and dedication. Bad installations is just that if your cables are all over the place then you have a serious problem.

I also like the wireless solutions but again wifi port scanners and other programs made it just too easy. That said it is getting better but not to the point where I would trust it completely as of yet. Again I am sure that Linux can give a more secure wifi network.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    In some cases if the line goes down then your "voice" and "data" goes down with it.

I also like the wireless solutions but again wifi port scanners and other programs made it just too easy. That said it is getting better but not to the point where I would trust it completely as of yet. Again I am sure that Linux can give a more secure wifi network.
    I use 2 x ISDN lines for voice, giving me four lines and numbers in the exchange. I then have one dedicated line for ADSL and do not use it for voice at all.

If you use strong passwords, the encryption is fine, from security point of view. It is using easy paswords, that you can remember, that cause the problem. You have to use a dedicated password program to store them. Something like KeePass, that is open source and free on sourceforge.net.

This is what a strong password looks like. P5JM7BMnTJjx6IgzIJyE This is 105 bits, you can even go stronger. Depending what your application allows you.

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Spoke to an IT company now on the phone again. When I heard my voice echo, I asked why it is. The reply, my headset is buggered and they refuse to give me a new one. So there you have it. He adjusted the headset position on his head and the echo was gone. With a handset you will not have this problem.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A definition: VoIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol. VoIP is the routing of voice conversations over the Internet or through any other IP based network.

What's being promoted to me (rather vigorously and from a number of sources) is kinda what IMHO is saying, but you're plugging into an off-site server. The punters are claiming I'll save about 30% on my current call spend. To some extent it's kinda like Skype-Out, but with PBX equipment and yada yada.

Has no-one been hitting on you about VOX Supaphones and PBX's yet? I can't swing a cat around here without hitting someone bugging me about it or something similar.

13. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Well Kevin, that is why I suggest a separate PC, running Linux. Incorporating your network is possible, but looking for trouble. You are right, VOIP is anything that makes use of an IP, but in the industry it is taken for granted that VOIP is WiFi as well, ie. no cables running from PC to telephone. In my mind there is only two ways to do it. PABX or the way I described.

It is still not clear to me why your telephone lines is down when your Internet is down. Do you have Telkom and/or Cellphone lines? If not, what is the service on the Internet you use to make calls to landlines and cell phones? How do you get your internet service, landline ADSL, dedicated line? Or some wireless Service provider?
    That is the million dollar question and that is why I have been given so many answers and that is why we are going totally separate pabx ! The current tel system uses asterix thro the server. Also mentioned before - 4 x incoming telkom lines. Internet is ADSL but they all seem to go to the stations with one cable. The internet guy blames the asterix telephone guy and vica versa. So to stop the kak and to fix things we will keep it simple and seperate !!

Thanks
    @Kevin. Not a bad decision. You are just going to get upset when the maintenance issues start, in about a year from now!

I am also on PABX. Will stay there till the current one will not be replaced by insurance. Then I will def. go the way I described above. Not for everyone though. You must have computer/network/IP savvy to DIY, otherwise you are just in the same boat again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast