Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you network to increase your client base?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @wynn - see it as a perfect oppertunity to feed them really bad information...make sure they buy real crap and put temselves out of the market quickly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    One avenue I have found to be rather effective is LinkedIn. I connect with a bunch of people that are in similar networks/industries or who I think may benefit from our services some day. Then, regularly (I try to achieve once a day - it's usually more like once a week) I pick a connection at random who I haven't found out more about and I go through their profile, take a look at everything and learn as much as I can about that person. I then type up a really thought provoking message centred around them and their businesses. I ask lots of questions - and often it's because I'm genuinely interested what that person does. Not a single word about me or Red Giant Design is said in the first message. Now let me tell you that this is probably one of the most effective ways of making life-long connections with people. I've had a number of super interesting discussions with connections on LinkedIn. I've learned so much and broadened my horizons in ways I never imagined. At the same time, while always concentrating on the other person, I've brought in enormous value in terms of new leads and partner projects. It's win-win for everybody!
    Excellent advice Mark! I have a sneaking suspicion that you're a fan of a certain Mr. Carnegie.

I've had my LinkedIn account for ages, but I've never really used it for anything - I never saw the awesome value of it until now. Thanks for that!
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfnel View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you're a fan of a certain Mr. Carnegie.

I've had my LinkedIn account for ages, but I've never really used it for anything - I never saw the awesome value of it until now. Thanks for that!
    Actually I have How to Win Friends and Influence People lined up and ready to read - I just don't have any time! Haven't read any Carnegie books... Yet.

I was much the same in terms of my LinkedIn profile. I never saw the value in it initially and thought SA's user base was too low. Over time I figured I must be missing something because professionals overseas are raving about it. That, coupled with a realisation that there are actually plenty Saffers on LinkedIn, prompted me to make a conscious effort to figure out how to best use LinkedIn.

I must say, though, that I've recently tried LinkedIn advertising (PPC) and that hasn't worked for me at all. Not nearly as effective as Adwords/Facebook.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My time in the "networking for business" trenches was from 1997 to about 2003 or 2004 - almost pre-internet. In fact I've never intentionally "networked for business" on the internet that I can think of.

That said, the business has been built almost entirely on networking. We spend exceptionally little on traditional advertising, and apart from Yellow Pages (which is just a little advert) our only traditional advertising spend is on "support advertising". These support adverts generally are for someone in our support network that's running a feature in a paper somewhere and need some advertising support to get their advertorial published.

So while I don't consider myself a networking expert, I can probably claim the way we do it does work. Fairly well.

There are a few fundamental principles informing our strategy.

• A quality relationship needs to reward both parties.
    • An individual can only maintain a limited number of quality relationships.
    • People help people they know and like.
    • Don't chase linear when you can multiply.
    • To multiply, building quality is more valuable than chasing quantity.

The foundation is being likable and handing out business cards, lots and lots of business cards. This is the prospecting stage and is a linear activity.
    But while most people are looking for leads when networking (linear goals), we're looking for potential evangelists (multiplication goal). Preferably placed to not produce a referral, but a steady stream of referrals.

So what does this mean practically?

It means you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to get an occasional prince.

Then you look after that prince and keep on kissing more frogs. (Happily in the networking game this isn't just OK, but actually healthy as you can take any suitable leads you find along the way and feed them to your princes).

Be nice to all the frogs you meet. Sometimes a frog won't ever turn into a prince, but they lead you to one.

Don't keep kissing the same frog and wait for them to turn into a prince. Keep moving. You can go back every now and then, but make sure you're still kissing lots of new frogs. (Believe everybody, wait for nobody).

Many frogs don't turn into a prince, or even lead you to one.

Princes can come from the most unlikely frogs.

More frogs turn into princes when you expect princes.

---

ps. I couldn't help but admire Mark's post (post 3 in this thread) - I think you nailed it. And reassuringly, perhaps my old-time thoughts are still relevant in this internet age.

5. Thanks given for this post:

AmithS (23-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So what does this mean practically?

It means you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to get an occasional prince.

Then you look after that prince and keep on kissing more frogs. (Happily in the networking game this isn't just OK, but actually healthy as you can take any suitable leads you find along the way and feed them to your princes).

Be nice to all the frogs you meet. Sometimes a frog won't ever turn into a prince, but they lead you to one.

Don't keep kissing the same frog and wait for them to turn into a prince. Keep moving. You can go back every now and then, but make sure you're still kissing lots of new frogs. (Believe everybody, wait for nobody).

Many frogs don't turn into a prince, or even lead you to one.

Princes can come from the most unlikely frogs.

More frogs turn into princes when you expect princes.
    I love the analogy, Dave. Spot on!

The part that resonates most for me is that princes can come from the most unlikely frogs. I find that it's human nature to judge people right off the bat. Reading Malcolm Gladwell's Blink really opened my eyes up to this. The one story I took to heart from the book is the story about the head honcho at Nissan (I can't recall the name). He is one of the most successful car salesmen of all time, and he's done it all by using great networking skills. He says that he tries to avoid the effects of all first impressions and judgments. Often, he says, the guy walking in to the salesroom waving a cheque book and shouting "I'm going to buy a car today!" is never going to actually buy a car.
    Then, a scrappy looking guy/lady, or even a teenager will walk in and, despite what one might think initially, they may be the ones who will make a purchase.

You can't really know just buy looking at a person whether they're a "prince". Snap judgments labeling a person as a "frog" right off the bat might be really detrimental to your networking efforts.

Through communication you can make subsequent judgments about a person which will hopefully be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    And reassuringly, perhaps my old-time thoughts are still relevant in this internet age.
    I think the general principles of human interaction and communication will always remain the same. I feel that successful networking, whether online or offline, is mainly derived from common courtesy and good manners.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is the 4th year in my own business. I did the networking circle initially, attending seminars and meeting as many people as possible. I did pick up one or two deals, but then realised that 90% of my business was coming from word of mouth referrals by ex colleagues and clients.

So I went back to the old ways of "kissing the frogs" and keeping in contact with everyone that matters in my life. Your best referral is a happy customer.

The formal networking such as BNI does not work for me (although it does have value for a number of other people). We have an informal Coffee Group that meet twice a month just to chat and we sometimes have a speaker on a specific topic.

The value of this group is that we can share things and discuss both success and failures. So maybe it is more of a support group than networking? Yes, we do pass on leads, but sometimes it is just uplifting to talk to someone in the same boat.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This thread inspired me to write a blog post on Networking, primarily to benefit our small business clients.

Would appreciate it if anybody who's interested would go have a squizz The link is: 3 Untold Truths About Effective Network Marketing

It's obviously a bit "salesy" seeing as the purpose of the blog is obviously to drive leads in addition to adding value, but would appreciate any comments on the post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    This thread inspired me to write a blog post on Networking, primarily to benefit our small business clients.

Would appreciate it if anybody who's interested would go have a squizz The link is: 3 Untold Truths About Effective Network Marketing

It's obviously a bit "salesy" seeing as the purpose of the blog is obviously to drive leads in addition to adding value, but would appreciate any comments on the post.
    Great article, great blog

10. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (28-Feb-12)

Thanks
    People forget that networking is just that, a net set to catch fish, Mark touches on this with his "Two way street" 1st point in his blog, but this point goes a lot further.

In your dealings with your friends, aquaintances and the public you pick up a whole lot of leads that even while they are not what you need or are looking for, are gold for someone else, this is very important because this is the information you trade with, pass it on, it is what makes up the net in the network.

After recieving one or two leads from you it is very hard for another networker not to pass leads in your particular field back to you, this is what makes networking rewarding.

It is like putting the net out then casting crumbs in the water (gold to someone else) it may not attract only the fish you are looking for but when the net is full reel it in, take the fish (leads) you want and share the ones you don't with the other guys who do.

My personal experience goes back to the 'old days' when all the 'Reps' from EL who went into the Transkei when travelling home on a Thursday afternoon, would meet at a particular country hotel pub to quench their thirst.
    During the banter you would mention to the electrical rep that a store in Libode was looking for electrical goods and to the chemicals rep that the hospital in Tafelofefe needed cleaning materials etc. Of course you were told of a few people who were looking for your particular materials or services as well, so a quick phonecall on Friday morning helped fill the order book, your boss, of course, loved the idea that you were visiting all these places instead of spending an afternoon fishing with a few of the other reps.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

12. Thank given for this post:

AmithS (29-Feb-12), Dave A (29-Feb-12)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for their valuable input on this topic.

Coming from a family where no one is in business and only being in business almost 3 years my self. Networking never featured in my way of life as in the working world networking is not all the important always.

So all the information hear is very helpful as I see more and more the importance of networking in my very own business. This is a new learning curve for me!

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast