Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wikipedia blackout over SOPA and PIPA

Thanks
    that's another thing against SOPA... ANY cloud services that deal with files of any type will have to scrutinizse every file that goes onto their servers. could SOPA/PIPA end cloud file services?

Thanks
    I read some where on internet that SOPA problem is solved now but I still wonder that is really stop or not..
    If not then we are in Big mess...
    we need to shift our servers to china because it is the only way out... and force other big site like wiki and google to shift there server in china to run a business.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing as China has censorship issues of their own, particularly when it comes to social media, I'm not sure moving onto servers in China is much of a solution

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Missnancyalex View Post
    I read some where on internet that SOPA problem is solved now but I still wonder that is really stop or not..
    Yeah, SOPA has been burried at least for now but like I said in a previous post you need to look deeper. SOPA was the knife held in the right hand. Whilst you spent the lest twelve months looking at it and wondering if you're going to get stabbed by it the left hand has been applied firmly and at high speed to your right ear beacuse you were distracted.

It's all about mission creep. and they were never too worried if SOPA was passed because it's took the spotlight off the fact that they've already established sufficient case law to have an ipaddress equal to a person in the eyes of a court. If a copyright infringement takes place from an ipaddress registered to you then you're legally responsible, you go to jail or you pay the rediculously high fine. This would be similar to a company owner being responsible for any criminal offences commited in a company vehicle. One of your employees get drunk on Saturday night, ploughs through a few pedestrians on his way home killing a few and you as the business owner do 15 years in jail because your name is on the vehicle paperwork.

Thinking about it this might not be a bad thing seeing as most vehicles are financed and technically owned by the bank. Hmmmmmm.

Another thing they've achieved whilst you weren't paying attention is they've now wormed it into case law that allows them to equate a download or an upload or part thereof as a lost sale hence the disproportionatly high fines. A single copyright infringement can carry a fine of tens of thousands of dollars.

SOPA, I'm sure they would have loved it as legislation but I doubt they were banking on it. Even as a 'failure' it was worth its weight in gold to them as smoke and mirrors for mission creep over the last year or so. They've got an unlimited supply of money which means they'll get their legislation bit by bit anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.