Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: home security/ multi media

Suspended
    Thanks
    something else which got me thinking...anyone can buy a cctv camera or complete package...install it anywhere and record...like myself...i dont belong to anything or not registered with anyone...yet i can set up a camera on the property next door and monitor all your activities...by just pointing them in the right direction...mmmm

another issue which we have just had recently...was a robbery which took place on an adjacent property...now the owner wants the footage...which was capatured...my customer has told them to go fly a kite because they where not prepapred to pay anything towards the installtion of the camera...was the robbery recorded and if so what are my customers rights to handing over the information...are there laws in this country...i will be looking into this today...and also be looking into other legislation....registration etc.

something i noticed in the uk forums was the amount of people using cctv cameras mounted on vehicles for deliveries...collections and work being carried out as a security backup...this would be an interesting thought...to mount cctv cameras on my van which record 24/7 which i can access 24/7 if required...i have noticed that the dvrs which i have installed have iphone access...and all the other smart phones but the iphone has an app which you just download to you phone and it works...the dvrs are also 12VDC so i can run the cameras and dvr off a battery in the van...no need for an invertor (why i say bonus no invertor is because of the uneccessay power consumed by the invertors even when idle)...have the cameras setup that theu send a message to you if some is walking around your vehicle...and when you van has R200 000 worth of equipment in it...a couple thouseand on a camera setup is nothing...my monthly insurance all risk cost what basic camera setup would cost....mmm something to look into

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes you are right ...... there are many so called "experts" in ANY field ....... and yes the security field and the electrical field do seem to attract the guys without jobs - they start off doing steelwork and think they can progress to the elctrical side of things - I see many bad installations as well as bad elctrical jobs of simple things like wiring up a db board where you can see the guy was in a hurry and doesnt even give a damn about neatness as well. I suppose that is why I have been in the business for over 15 years - you learn as you go along, you maintain your standards and try to improve from one installation to the next and the majority of my work comes from refferalls.

We spoke about experts ........ getting the degree or the diploma or the certificat to say that you have qualified in the course you have obtained does not make you the expert. It takes years and years to become fluent in your field to be able to safely impart your knowledge with confidence and prove that you are slowly becoming an expert in your field. But there are experts out there.

You mention that some installations are a complete waste of time - you do have to take a few things into consideration when looking at an installation and the first being the budget - does a person want to basically just know and see that there is an intruder, therefore this would bring the cost of the camera down - does the highway personal just want be able to distinguish basic traffic and to be able to zoom in on the number plate or do they want to see more like colour of car and/or identify people walking or in the car etc etc - not everyone wants too much detail - they just want the basics. I have many different clients from both sectors!

Thanks
    This is an interesting thread.

My CPF are talking about setting up cameras at the 5 or 6 entrance/exit choke points to our neighborhoods to observe traffic especially after a crime has been committed, so if a car has been stolen we can see which end of the neighborhood it exited and notify the cops to look in that direction. Also if there has been a crime what vehicles came in and out of the neighborhood before and after the crime.

We are aware of certain vehicles being used for a lot of the crimes in our area (colour and model only) if we could see their registrations and when they come in and leave we could take action.

The idea is to have each choke point observed by a camera or cameras and recorded, then we should also be able to dial up and observe at anytime, downloads should be automated at regular intervals.
    Problem is what camera and communication device do we need, what size UPS? cant be too big, the Municipality will allow us to use street poles and draw current for these devices within reason but they must be small enough to not be an eysore or a target for theft.
    The idea that we can also set up different looking dummy cameras all over the area as a deterrent, we could have a regular article in the local press showing pictures taken with a normal hand held camera where you can see faces and vehicle registrations as a decoy the perpetrators wouldn't know what the real cameras looked like or where they are.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    Nice post! Also very informative.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123