I have/had an employee that used to come late every day. When I mean late he comes to work between 10min and 1 hour every day. Our working hours used to be 7.30-5pm - i changed this to 8-5.30 and he still used to come to work sometimes at 8.45. At the end of July we had a fallout due to this because only the previous week I asked him what the problem with this latecoming was and he said he needs more money due to transport problems. I agreed to this but said I would draw up a contract and give him extra money based on performance and him coming on time. The very next Monday he came late again and we had words and he walked out and subsequently went to the CCMA. I had never given him warnings as at the end of the day he was a reasonably good worker (I know - my fault). Anyway to cut a long story short we had our CCMA meeting this week and I agreed to take him back under my conditions ie I have now said work starts at 7.30 again, knowing that he most likely will not be able to make it to work at that time - The ccma have said that is no problem and if he is late I must give the relevant warnings. Since he has left I have moved on and replaced him, but could do with him back if he comes back and is willing to get his mind stuck in to the work again.

To my question:
Do I take him back after 2.5 months away starting new ie we draw up a contract from scratch ? ( I never had one originally with him)
Can I reduce his salary as I am a little top heavy now and say he is basically starting new on probation ? or do I have to take him back at his old wages ?

I would appreciate a little insight into this please.
Thanks