Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dubula ibhunu --- (Shoot the Boer) A Nation in Trouble

Thanks
    Dix I really question your first sentence. The black people were never one and are unlikely to be because of tribalism. Have a look at the following piece which I wrote in one of my blogs.

Democracy Africa Style
    Butch on July 17th, 2011

Democracy Africa Style.

I found the following meaning of the word” democracy” in Wikipedia which you can see at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

Democracy is a form of government in which all citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Ideally, this includes equal (and more or less direct) participation in the proposal, development and passage of legislation into law. It can also encompass social, economic and cultural conditions that enable the free and equal practice of political self-determination. The term comes from the Greek: δημοκρατία – (dēmokratía) “rule of the people”,[1] which was coined from δῆμος (dêmos) “people” and κράτος (Kratos) “power”, in the middle of the 5th-4th century BC to denote the political systems then existing in some Greek city-states, notably Athens following a popular uprising in 508 BC.[2]

The first sentence gives a wonderful concept of what democracy should mean and be in an ideal world. As I get older, I am sorry to say that I am getting rather more cynical. Sadly,”Democracy African Style” does not encompass the original Greek concept of this word. What in effect happens in Africa is that the majority give the power to certain people to rule over them and in most cases not in the voters best interests. The individuals voted into power become a brotherhood for self enrichment of family and friends. Once in a position of power it is extremely difficult to get them out. I defy anyone to name one African country that has not followed this trend and sadly I include South Africa near the top of the tree.

More Africans have died at the hands of Africans in power than were ever killed by the colonial powers. Here again I defy anyone to prove me wrong. One of the root causes of this is plain tribalism which is still rife throughout Africa.

During the rule of the colonial powers in Africa the clarion call was to free the inhabitants of this tyranny. In my humble opinion the tyranny that exists in Africa is far worse and a great deal more sinister.

Most of us have read Alan Paton’s book “Cry the Beloved Country’’ which he wrote during the apartheid years. This book was on the banned list. As a parting thought I wonder what the contents of his book would be if he wrote it today. The title would stay the same but the contents would in all probability be vastly different.

You can see this at http://www.storiesandissues.co.za/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tribalism has allowed a certain fellow to be crowned king of the Zulus. He owns farms and land and has palaces all over the province. These farms are largely unproductive, so that he requires a budget of more than R50 Million (growing annually) and paid for by the tax payers, to fund his lifestyle. His "subjects" live mostly in poverty in rural KZN.

Then there is a chief who is actually more important than this king. He has built himself a palace, spending more than R246 Million of taxpayers money.

I have always thought that a king is the leader of a monarchy and a president the leader of a republic, as chosen by the PEOPLE. A republic is democracy, ruled by the power of PEOPLE. Here in Africa we seem to be confusing the roles. Once chosen, a president becomes the supreme authority and a law unto himself.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA VS ANC2-small.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	4586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA VS ANC2-small.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	4586

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123