Poll: When you get a call from a private number, do you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Call Tracing

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have adopted the dont answer private numbers for now and it seems to be working.

I dont get many calls from private numbers now and when they do call it is like 3 times or so... because I dont pickup...

So for now it seems to be working as the person calling seems to be getting agitated that I am not answering and ignoring them

Thanks
    The company that I work for automatically dials out on a cell phone line when I dial another cell phone. It comes up as a private number as our previous IT guy in his wisdom blocked the caller id and the new guy, does not want to rectify this. I unfortuneately need to leave a lot of messages and the telephone is now no long an efficient tool.

Silver Member
    Thanks

number 088109196900

this is one number that drives me up the wall.its dials my telkom landline.if it starts at 1am,then it goes on & on. a few seconds after answering u get an engaged tone.the best one can do is then to put the phone off the hook. its like a machine thats dialling you non-stop. have tried speaking to telkom to no avail. they have referred me to cell c & cell c says its not one of their numbers.telkom say they can do nothing & i try explaining that it is their problem because i employ their services and when this happens i have no service for a few hours cause i got to keep the phone off the hook. and my burglar alarm is connected to my phone etc etc. In desperation i've told them that i'd employ the services of Mr. Murdock. That has'nt helped either. any member experience this??
    Last edited by flaker; 04-Oct-11 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    @flaker, the solution seems to be to disable your sms feature on your telkom line!

8. I have multiple phones connected to the same line. Why do I see a 08810919690X number on the CLI of my non-SMS compatible phones?

When receiving a text message on a SMS compatible telephone, the CLI from the Short Message Centre will be recorded on all the non-SMS capable devices/ telephones that are CLI capable and that are connected in parallel on the same line as the SMS telephone. The numbers recorded by these telephones will be 088109196900, 088109196910 to 088109196990. Note that all telephones installed in parallel with the SMS capable telephone will ring until the SMS phone answers and takes delivery of the SMS text message. This will be one short ring burst only. Thereafter the SMS compatible telephone will provide an audible warning indicating the arrival of a new message.

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (04-Oct-11), flaker (04-Oct-11)

Thanks
    Another way with spam calls!

When they ask how you are, thank them PROFUSELY for their interest, and explain how bad you feel, how your back is sore, you have catarrh, your insomnia is acting up, you are waiting for the dandruff treatment to kick in, your spouse is also suffering from the 'flu, and you are so stressed from driving in the traffic with all the taxis, which is raising your blood pressure, giving you headaches ........ etc. etc.

Don't give the a chance to get a word in edgeways .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    My extensive movie-going experience leads me to believe that you can only trace a call after you've been on the line with them for quite some time
    That was the OLD days when they had to manually trace a call. It took about three minutes per exchange. Nowadays the caller is identified even while your phone is still ringing.( CLI)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123