Quote Originally Posted by Erika Gordon View Post
The key factor to a financial services product is that it is designed to yield maximum benefit to the investor, not the person who pays the premium, but the person who receives the premium.
Straight to the heart of the problem.

My personal view is that investing in your own business should produce a great return, but it doesn't hurt to plough some money into other stuff too. So the question is where?

My tip would be that the admin cost of a good stock broker is way lower than the life assurance/unit trust sectors - and it's the admin costs that are destroying the profits, especially if you compound the effect over many years.

Find a stock broker and build a reasonable working relationship. Be honest and frank. Say "here's x for now that I want to invest in listed shares to build up a retirement nest egg." Make sure he/she understands that looked after right, you're a client for the next 10, 20 (whatever) years and that you're not a speculator.

The shares are in your name, there's no "assets under management" admin fee and there is no chance of intermediaries running off with your money.