Thread: Age an issue?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Age an issue?

A client phoned me up on Monday night (never met before). He asked for a laser unit for his printer. His machine was down to its underpants, ready to go. I had a second hand laser ready for him. He arrived, a very polite gentleman, he looks around 65. Originally from GP and retired.
    I put the new laser in, printer works.
    He has very little experience with printers, but he understands almost every component down to its spec. It’s amazing what he knows. We ended up having a long long chat, it turns out he is an electrical engineer and inventor come mad scientist. He has a couple of projects going. A very animated man. He can build complicated electronic boards and gadgets from scratch, so he can definitely help me with regard to electrical components, I can outsource to him when things are above my spec. He seems fully in touch with tec. I am having some trouble with the guy I usually use for advanced electronics, he is very good, but he is too busy and can’t turn jobs quick enough.
    Personally I don’t care much for age when it comes to skill and ability, if the job is done well, it is done well. He was retrenched or something because of his age, it’s sad and stupid he is clearly passionate about what he does, and sharp as a fiddle.

What do you guy's think about age and employment?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (17-May-13)