Ok, so my husband and i have just registered our CC after succesfully running our businesses for just over a year. Long overdue and also CIPRO took some time but its done now. So now we have to make a switch from Sole Prop to CC ito how we do things and tax. We are very good at what we do but are none the wiser when it comes to these legal/tax matters - we do have an accountant whom I am seeing this week, but would appreciate your imput too. Two minds are always better than one. I feel like I need a CC for Dummies handbook - LOL. This is what I have so far - please feel free to point in right direction/add. I dont need any professional services (as I have this already) - I am writing this because I want to understand more about what is going on when I do meet with my accountant.
1. Bank accounts are open - pretty straight fw - change banking details and put CK no on invoice? Anywhere else apart from that and letterhead?
2. Register for PAYE and UIF (we are already tax registered but as provisional payers). Also I believe the CC must be registered for tax? If you do know offhand which forms to use that will be appreciated.
3. Change all debit orders over to new acc and change into name of CC.
4. Tax experts - ok so I have paid my provisional tax for august 2010 and feb 2011. now the CC was registered on 11.04.2011 and the name was changed on 20.06.2011. Now logic tells me I will have to pay prov tax in August for March 2011 - 10.04.2011 but I will have to register for PAYE and UIF now and backpay from 11.04.2011 - present?
5. We dont have any employees and we take drawings depending on how the business does. This varies from month to month. I know some people take set salaries but this wont work for us. I take it I/accountant will have to calculate tax/UIF every month on our drawings? Then how do I calculate CC tax as I believe that is calculated differently. Can I do this myself and can I pay SARS directly? (sorry if this is a duh question).
6. We have one CC but two seperate sets of books. What we do is related but we prefer to keep it seperate. Another stupid question but am I right in understanding that we will work tax out by taking each "divisions" profit and adding them together. They are both part of 1 cc afterall?
7. Mot veh fuel and insurance. To date we record our km's then work our personal and business. How will that work now? And how does a car allowance work?
8. Benefits? How does this work - havent done any benefits to date? Maybe keep med aid etc seperate (sorry very dumb-dumb when it comes to this).
9. I briefly spoke to the accountant - apparently we wont close our current books, we will just change the info over to the CC info and then of course bring in the correct bank accounts. I assume this is in order.
Ok that is a mouthful.
Thanks so much to anyone who will take the time to read through this hoo-hah and help a padawan in need.