Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Simple Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Simple Question

    Hey can any one please help me here,
    smaller motors can either be connected in star or delta right, but how do you decide? I was taught that it depends on what it would be used for. Like star will give 220 across the windings and have less torque, Delta will have 380 across windings and give more torque. So delta if motor is going to work hard and star otherwise???? Is this way of thinking correct?
    Other side is that it depends on the supply voltage.
    3phase 220v or 3phase 380v, dictates the connection.
    So please can any one clear this up for me.
    O and if i have a drive that is supplied by 220 and in turn supplies a 3phase motor how should that motor be connected and y??
    thank you

  2. #2
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,400
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked 854 Times in 687 Posts
    Hi Gei. This isn't a simple question, it's half a dozen complex questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gei View Post
    Hey can any one please help me here,
    smaller motors can either be connected in star or delta right, but how do you decide?
    Rotation speed will be different depending whether you connect in star or delta. Some motors are not rated to be connected in either, check the voltage options on the motor tag plate first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gei View Post
    I was taught that it depends on what it would be used for. Like star will give 220 across the windings and have less torque, Delta will have 380 across windings and give more torque.
    Not necessarily. I prefer to use the term 'shaft power' than torque which can get very complicated. The shaft power is the power required to drive the load at the running rpm of the motor. As the shaft power increases so does the load current drawn through the motor. If you exceed the maximum design run current of the motor it overheats and either damages the bearing lubricant or burns out the windings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gei View Post
    So delta if motor is going to work hard and star otherwise???? Is this way of thinking correct?
    Not necessarily.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gei View Post
    Other side is that it depends on the supply voltage.
    3phase 220v or 3phase 380v, dictates the connection.
    You get a three phase star wiring scheme with a neutral and a three phase wiring scheme without a neutral. Usually a standard 3-phase induction motor will wire delta without a neutral. Again it depends on the specific motor and application.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gei View Post
    So please can any one clear this up for me.
    O and if i have a drive that is supplied by 220 and in turn supplies a 3phase motor how should that motor be connected and y??
    thank you
    I'm assuming you're talking about a VFD. There are a few VFD's which can be supplied single phase 220v and output 380v 3-phase. I've never seen one of these larger than 2.2 kw. The limiting factor is the 220 volt supply requirement becomes very large and can no longer be supplied from a standard 16Amp socket outlet. The connection to the motor would usually be a standard 3 wire delta connection and earth. Consult the literature to avoid singed eyebrows. :-)
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  3. #3
    Gold Member Martinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Posts
    927
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 136 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post


    Rotation speed will be different depending whether you connect in star or delta. Some motors are not rated to be connected in either, check the voltage options on the motor tag plate first.
    Are you sure about this Andy ?

    I assume Gei is talking 3 phase only.

    Surely the speed of the motor is determined by the number of poles and the frequency of the supply source e.g. a 4 pole 380/220 volt motor in SA turns at +- 1440 RPM and cannot be changed unless you run it through a VDF which can change the supply frequency and hence the speed.

    Further I have found that you find many motors especially from China that are wired 220 / 380 volt connection which means that if you have the 6 wires on the terminal block , you have to change the connection to star to take care of the 380 volt supply .
    BUT as you say...............check the plate on the motor first to determine the required voltage/connection.

    In order to save some electricity in my factory I am running quite a few 380 volt motors in star ( light duty applications only ) and have found this quite satisfactory, just be careful to ensure that the power output in star is sufficient to do the job without over heating and a possible burnout with "spitzen sparkin" and much smoke .

    Incidentaly, you do know that electricity IS actually smoke. Whenever something goes wrong with any electrical apparatus you normally see smoke coming out ! That is the electricity leaking out
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

    You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

  4. #4
    Gold Member daveob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Amanzimtoti
    Posts
    655
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 118 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Incidentaly, you do know that electricity IS actually smoke. Whenever something goes wrong with any electrical apparatus you normally see smoke coming out ! That is the electricity leaking out
    Actually, I think that the smoke you see is actually a user notice that the appliance generates to tell you that your appliance warranty is now expired. It has nothing to do with the malfunction of the appliance - that is a seperate event that takes place, coincidentally, just after the user notice is issued.
    Watching the ships passing by.

  5. #5
    Gold Member Martinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Posts
    927
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 136 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Actually, I think that the smoke you see is actually a user notice that the appliance generates to tell you that your appliance warranty is now expired. It has nothing to do with the malfunction of the appliance - that is a seperate event that takes place, coincidentally, just after the user notice is issued.
    Man........you got it !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

    You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

  6. #6
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,400
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked 854 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Are you sure about this Andy ?

    I assume Gei is talking 3 phase only.

    Surely the speed of the motor is determined by the number of poles and the frequency of the supply source e.g. a 4 pole 380/220 volt motor in SA turns at +- 1440 RPM and cannot be changed unless you run it through a VDF which can change the supply frequency and hence the speed.
    On paper or in a zero load scenario you're right, the rotation speeds should be identical in star or delta supply formation. The output torque in star is often less than a quarter of the same motor wired in delta which in a load situation results in lower rotation speed and possibly stall condition.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
    in s.a. generally motors up to about 4 kw are designed to run in star
    and above 4 kw in delta.
    but as mentioned the rating plate must be checked.if it says 380 volt star and 230 volt delta then it is must be connected star in s.a. and delta in a country with 230 volt 3 phase . these windings are designed to handle 230 volt maximum.these are normally american motors.
    regarding the single phase vfd,s i have only come across the models that supply 230 volt 3 phase output. its probably easier to manufacture. the motors should be connected in delta. in star there would only be about 130 volts across each coil.

    regarding the 3 phases and neutral connection to a motor,i have never seen it. what application would it be used for?
    with 3 phase heating elements in star connection you could run it without a neutral ,but if 1 element blows the other 2 would only have 190 volts across each one. with the neutral connected to the star point it would stay 230 volts even if 2 elements are faulty.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Windhoek
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    U are correct. but I think what matters most is the current, especially the starting current, thus why we have star/delta starter. As for u, u are much concerned on the torque, it is wise to connect your motor in delta as torque is directly propotional to current(in delta current is 1.73 times the current in y). And for the supply, the supply are always connected in y. So u will only have 380V on the side of the motor. And as u said is for the small motors, the starting current wont be that much.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the replies especially bergie . Yours cleared it up for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Sole Trader Tax Question
    By NibbleIT in forum Tax Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Oct-10, 08:05 AM
  2. Question about interest rate
    By eitai2001 in forum Business Finance Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Apr-10, 09:19 AM
  3. A strange question about VAT.
    By insulin in forum Tax Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Mar-09, 08:45 AM
  4. Simple solution to online banking fraud?
    By duncan drennan in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15-Jul-07, 08:37 PM
  5. Improving your web marketing - a simple step.
    By I Robot in forum Marketing Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-May-06, 08:39 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •