Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Control bandwidth usage of staff

Thanks
    PC lesson #1 learned with experience : always backup / ghost your PC before downloading and installing unknown software.

Bet you'll remember that one next time !!
    Watching the ships passing by.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Just a word of warning on the above software!!!

I installed the server and client software on two PCs

When one opens the client software, the monitor goes blank first and then brings up a screen with "HANDY CAFE" graphics which just keeps on repeating on and on and no way of getting out of this.
    Just a forced shutdown could stop this.

After a restart all the desktop icons went missing !

I had to restart and quickly open "Regcleaner" to uninstall client because the normal win control panel "remove programs" does not even see the client program.
    Lucky I have Zone Alarm installed which bought me some time to get to my Regcleaner program.

Well..........all's well that ends well. PC running again.
    Heres a very basic Computer policy. Add and adapt according to your requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about that last link I just Googled copied and paste. But I did say “does a search”... any way got my name hit with a sleeper and sorry about that

The stuff you are looking for is below I used to work with it and it is extremely powerful hardware you will be a demigod in your office that I can promise you. There is no getting around it or anything like that but again I warn you it IS expensive if you want I can pm me and I can give you a number of a dude that deals with a bit cheaper version of this product but is still the same thing.

http://www.juniper.net/as/en/products-services/ipc/

now you can or me
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    PC lesson #1 learned with experience : always backup / ghost your PC before downloading and installing unknown software.

Bet you'll remember that one next time !!
    Ok Dave...............

I am ahead of you this time, I have a ghost version ready but it was (fortunately ) easier just to try the fix first, but yes point well taken.

What has helped me out on previous occasions was to make a restore point before attempting suspicious software but in this case I would not have been able to open the restore before the graphics took over.
    Come to think about it...this is actually a good idea as a virus to send to somebody you don't like ! ( Just kidding )

On the same subject: there is a software program available called "Go Back" which loads even before windows starts which works the same as win Restore and gives you the opportunity to go back in time and do a system restore but as opposed to Restore, this program make restore points several times a day and puts meaningful names to these points so one can easily identify where things went wrong and restore to before that. I.E. you lose nothing.

So..actually a lesson for all PC users !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I have popped this onto my work PC's (3 of them) http://www.netlimiter.com/. You can set it up so that it does not even show it's presence on the task bar. You can firewall or throttle speed per application.

Facebook is a found in a browser, so not able to throttle I'm afraid. but Yahoo, Skype and MSN chat has died in my office

I already have enough hassle trying to make things fit into a monthly cap of 15gig. Kills me when I see a bill for 30gig for a total of a 5 machine network.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Right, restore point not available? What about the safe mode function? You can roll back on that menu?? Before the OS even stats AND more importantly what kind of a tech does life testing! My word man! You get a computer and set it up for testing THEN only do you start playing with stuff! That is like 101 for computers NEVER play with a live network, servers or policies if you don’t know the tech or software....

well Google Sun Vitrual-Box it is free and it acts like a real computer.

You can do testing with it and more importantly it allows you to just “make a new image” if something goes wrong. I am using it to talk to you right now!! JIP this is a virtual computer I use to run on the net because of viruses and all kinds of bad stuff. And it works extremely well.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    @Abcab Wow! In our office we have 2 pc's, we use the 'net LOTS, and still have bandwidth left out of 5gig.
    I'm one of the T's from TnT Unleashed Web design, photography and writing services
    http://www.1pic4twenty.co.za

Thanks
    Tony, I am member on 7 4x4 forums and contribute quiet a lot. I post a bunch of pics and I am a youtube junky. My wife chats on Yahoo a lot, and my daughter never gets off facebook and skype. Then I have a 17 year old son who loves his online games, oh and then a office of 4 people all on the same line. Neotel was slow enough to keep it all in check, but the service became slow and unreliable and I had to revert back to to telkom. On a 4meg line the bandwidth goes nowhere. Since Sunday I have averaged around 400 to700Mb per day.

LOL, I at the moment have an online game on the one monitor and this forum with another 4 open on the other monitor. I am contemplating dropping down to a 512 line and going uncapped for around R800. That is probably going to be the cheapest option for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Sorry about that last link I just Googled copied and paste. But I did say “does a search”... any way got my name hit with a sleeper and sorry about that.
    No need to feel bad.
    This is not your fault and S*/t happens. But as I say..........it only took a while to fix.......No hard feelings !!!!!!
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (13-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCAB View Post
    Neotel was slow enough to keep it all in check, but the service became slow and unreliable and I had to revert back to to telkom.
    Now that's something I didn't want to see (although quietly I've been expecting it would come one day). Neotel would seem to be going the way of all the other wireless options then - slower and slower as they gain popularity until you're ready to scream, slash your wrists or (worst of all) go back to Telkom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast