Organisers of Tuesday's planned Million Man March in Pretoria hope criminals will get the message that the country is united against them, a spokesperson said on Monday.
"We are expecting a lot of people. We have received messages from people saying they are coming. It does not matter if we don't get one million people," said Lydia Moleele.
"Even if we get 400 000, it means that 400 000 people will be able to make a stand to say 'enough is enough' and that we are uniting together against this monster [crime].
"People of all races, children, businessmen ... we want to show them [criminals] that we can give them a shake."
Comedian and actor Desmond Dube was inspired to arrange the event after a neighbour, Bashimane Mofokeng, was killed in a hijacking.
Moleele said people would gather at the gardens of the Union Buildings, and streets surrounding the buildings would be closed to cater for the overflow.
The Pretoria showgrounds and the Loftus rugby ground had been set aside for parking for people who didn't want to travel into the city. Transport to the Union Buildings, at a nominal fee, would be available, she said.
full story from M&G here