Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PV Suppliers?

Thanks

PV Suppliers?

Hi guys, does anyone know who stocks 16 and 25mm PV cables? Inverter max capacity is 80A and I will have 68A to connect between combiner box and inverter. A single cable from the combiner box inverter isolator will be neater than having all my strings cables in bigger trunking.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You dont need to use PV cables between the combiner and the inverter, the PV cables are double insulated for use on the roof.

Just make sure the cable is suitable for the DC voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Hi guys, does anyone know who stocks 16 and 25mm PV cables? Inverter max capacity is 80A and I will have 68A to connect between combiner box and inverter. A single cable from the combiner box inverter isolator will be neater than having all my strings cables in bigger trunking.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Thank you Isetech, I did consider that but would like to use fire retardent cables if possible, the batteries and inverter are just below and should anything untoward occur, at least I would have tried limiting more damage. As it is, the terminals on the inverter were not exactly designed for 25mm cables which would be the correct size for 80A DC

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    IF you are concerned about fire, I hope you are not using PVC trunking as most domestic installations are done, I would be using metal trunking (P8 or 9000). Please tell me you combiner box is also metal, I hear all this talk about fires, yet 99.9% of domestic solar installations posted on social media use the dangerous home made DC PVCcontrol boxes.

Thank you Isetech, I did consider that but would like to use fire retardent cables if possible, the batteries and inverter are just below and should anything untoward occur, at least I would have tried limiting more damage. As it is, the terminals on the inverter were not exactly designed for 25mm cables which would be the correct size for 80A DC
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    IF you are concerned about fire, I hope you are not using PVC trunking as most domestic installations are done, I would be using metal trunking (P8 or 9000). Please tell me you combiner box is also metal, I hear all this talk about fires, yet 99.9% of domestic solar installations posted on social media use the dangerous home made DC PVCcontrol boxes.
    Yes, I agree, earthed metal boxes and conduit are the way to do it. I have not started the installation yet as I am first trying to get the cables I want.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    For the record its not lithium batteries bursting into flames and burning down buildings, I hear the most common cause of fires in domestic installations are the home made plastic DC control boxes, full of 'imported" Dc components supplied and fitted by installers.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Check the manufacturers spec sheet, these cables have a much better current rating than our standard house wires.

Yes, I agree, earthed metal boxes and conduit are the way to do it. I have not started the installation yet as I am first trying to get the cables I want.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    For the record its not lithium batteries bursting into flames and burning down buildings, I hear the most common cause of fires in domestic installations are the home made plastic DC control boxes, full of 'imported" Dc components supplied and fitted by installers.
    Most burnt connections etc I have seen are bad workmanship , strands cut off before fitting into lugs , AC equipment used in place of DC , DC CB used on batteries and the CB are not bi direction but Bi Polar and fault levels not taken into account

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    you could add loose connections to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Most burnt connections etc I have seen are bad workmanship , strands cut off before fitting into lugs , AC equipment used in place of DC , DC CB used on batteries and the CB are not bi direction but Bi Polar and fault levels not taken into account

Thanks
    you could add loose connections to that list.
    I agree with both of you, another problem is also that people store paints and chemicals in their garage. Last week I worked on an installation where they had a setup installed last year and the people thought it a good idea to store corrosives beneath the inverter. Needless to say everything is corroded and they can kiss their warranty goodbye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast