Thread: EV charger installation standards.

Gold Member
    Thanks

EV charger installation standards.

Hello : )

Happy public holiday.

Have a colleague of sorts who has installed a couple EV chargers.

He is asking about some standards and if I know of any.

Does anyone more in the know, know of there is a SANS standard to follow for EV charger installations ?.

For example do we need PEN fault protection.

Did a bit of googling but not to much info.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Don't waste your time with so called SA standards, look at the UK they are installing a lot of EV and they have a set of regs in place.

Efixx has training modules and they are pretty much on the same type of elctrical and there is a lot of information.

Like the solar industry, its all new here and going to take another 10 years before we catch up, so I wouldn't worry too much about regulations right now.

Electricians dont even know the difference between a PZ and PH screw driver and you worried about EV

Join a whatsapp group I am sure the experts are offering professional advice, especially the ones tasked with doing the DOL job.

Give it a couple of months and someone will climb on the band wagon offering yellow cards for EV
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I know I am in one of those moods today, just smile and shake your head.

I hate doing admin and I am stuck in the office today, after having to pay over a large amount of money for VAT again, I think this being debt free is not helping so it looks like I need to increase my overdraft facility, swing that credit card back into the negative again and maybe buy a new vehicle and a delivery bike.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Hello : )

Happy public holiday.

Have a colleague of sorts who has installed a couple EV chargers.

He is asking about some standards and if I know of any.

Does anyone more in the know, know of there is a SANS standard to follow for EV charger installations ?.

For example do we need PEN fault protection.

Did a bit of googling but not to much info.

The charger is like any charger and will be treated as a fixed appliance - Supply cable run to an isolator and charger connected to the isolator - Spec of charger will determine the supply cable and breaker size

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Perfect gents. Saw in 10142 that it is an appliance. However just thinking more ahead as seen a lot on the UK about it and PEN detection and all.

Pretty much found the one standard mentioned about EV in sans 10142 and then that standard says it's a direct copy of the IET or IEC one (can't recall at the moment) so ya pretty much we just copy the UK it seems just many many years behind

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Just remember, the regs applicable at time of installation are what would be used if there were an enquiry. the same with the sale of the property, provided you apply the current regulations at the time of installation, any changes in the future will not affect your installation, provided you dont modify or upgrade the EV installation.

Some people use the regs as they are intended as an absolute basic guideline, others will go the extra mile in an attempt to create a safer environment. Provided it doesn't compromise the safety standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Perfect gents. Saw in 10142 that it is an appliance. However just thinking more ahead as seen a lot on the UK about it and PEN detection and all.

Pretty much found the one standard mentioned about EV in sans 10142 and then that standard says it's a direct copy of the IET or IEC one (can't recall at the moment) so ya pretty much we just copy the UK it seems just many many years behind