Thread: Load shedding free for a month

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Load shedding free for a month

I am sure everyone is asking the same question, how is it possible?

Some say it is due to all the planning and maintenance rolled out since last year, I am sure everyone is shaking their heads.

Others say it is all bullshyte and just about the elections, which is going to cost billions in diesel to keep the lights on until the elections.

I have noticed most of the so called experts who actually know what they are talking about are just keeping quiet, or just not being given the opportunity to speak out ?

Does anyone know what is really going on?

I am still going ahead with my solar installation, designed around energy saving with a small backup battery.

Right now is the best time to be installing solar the prices are crazy low. Looking at what we were selling solar panels for last year this time compared to now, more than R1000 cheaper , it is a little embarrassing quoting customer who we did installs for last year this time and now want more panels.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I am sure everyone is asking the same question, how is it possible?

Some say it is due to all the planning and maintenance rolled out since last year, I am sure everyone is shaking their heads.

Others say it is all bullshyte and just about the elections, which is going to cost billions in diesel to keep the lights on until the elections.
    There has been an increase in Energy availability factor (EAF) which appears higher than it was last year but nowhere near it was in 2019
    Whether this increase in EAF is due to the maintenance starting to pay off, I cannot be sure

In the past 25 days they have hardly run diesel - Where diesel has been used is evening peaks which I would see as normal/expected - and normally towards the end of the week

The Energy demand is also lower than it was last year by around 2 000 MW which would indicate that private solar roof top installs are helping Eskom keep lights on

There are still plenty of larger PV installs happening , in 1MW range , which will assist going forward .

In short it is not so much as Eskom improving , just stabilizing , and private enterprise picking up the slack - My opinion is based on graphs that are readily available to view

I use Eskom station build up for the last 7 days to judge whether we can expect increase levels of load shedding as it gives me an idea as to how much diesel I need to purchase for clients. With the reduction in load shedding it is helping with cash flow as our diesel purchases are down

https://www.eskom.co.za/dataportal/s...e-last-7-days/

The other site I have only recently discovered also gives an easy over view

https://metabase.dwyer.co.za/public/...2-99fe5b84e961

3. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (26-Apr-24), Isetech (27-Apr-24), Justloadit (26-Apr-24)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I noticed on media platforms this morning, stage 2 load shedding is on the cards for Winter.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.