Thread: IP CCTV challenges

Platinum Member
    Thanks

IP CCTV challenges

I have installed many CCTV systems mostly entry level HDCVI stuff with the odd top end system in factories and a few commercial.

I took the leap up to the mid range and recently completed a couple full IP systems with cameras that are not even available in the country (there were until I purchased all of them), boy did I bump my head.

Nothing like getting dropped in the deep end and just giving it your all in an attempt to keep your head above water.

With the solar stuff I spent at least a year doing research, by the time I started my first install I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I thought with the knowledge I had gained from all the camera installations, it would a couple minor adjustments and we would be good to go, well here I sit a couple months later, still not not fully commissioned battling with firmware/software issues that not even the supplier cant fix (so I dont feel too bad).

What have I learnt form this experience, IP 8 MP specific,?

1/ Make sure you do what I normally do, setup the full system in the workshop.

2/ Make sure you have a fast reliable internet connection, at least100 meg fibre line, otherwise you need to make sure you are charging by the hour, trust me you going to be spending a lot of time looking at a screen just waiting.

3/ Make sure you do firmware upgrades before you do anything.

4/ Makes sure that once the update are complete and you are ready to check the system, that you connect your laptop to a different network and verify the web link works.

5/ Makes sure you understand the difference between LAN and WAN.

6/ Make sure the company who sells you the product has a decent support team, very very important. If it wasn't the tech support from the supplier I would be pretty screwed right now, because man things didn't go as smoothly as I expected.

7/ Beware of duplicating certain parameters on the recorder and the camera.

8/ Use proper solid copper cat cable.

9/ Beware of people selling HDMI cables that are suppose to work past 10 m, no matter how good the quality of HDMI cable, you burn your fingers.

10/ Install 32 mm conduits in case you want to run HDMI cables between screens and TV's , I managed to find HDMI extenders that work up to 30 m. I also have a box of crap that didnt work.

11/ Beware of cat cable runs over 60 and make sure you get your ducks in a row if you go over 100 m, we have a combination of literally ever challenge you could face when doing a CCTV install, it has cost me my rainy day kitty.

There are many other challenges we faced, but these were the highlights.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Apr-24)