Thread: What amps should stove breaker be?

Thanks

What amps should stove breaker be?

What's the required amps for a stove breaker switch? I'm buying an apartment and an electrician said by law he has to replace the switch from 25 amps to 40 or 50 (don't recall which). Sellers decided to send another electrician coz the first quote was too high. And this one says 25 amps is fine. So which is which?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    IF you have a normal 4 plate stove with an oven, it must be 40 amp with a 6 mm wire.

If it is a HOB and ELO, the wires must be 4 mm with 2 x 32 amp circuit breakers.

The only time you would use a 25 amp circuit breaker, if you have a special stove that have relays which restricts the use of all the plates at the same time, which can plug into a standard socket outlet, which should only have a 20 amp mcb, so I would check the 25 amp electricians qualifications .
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    IF you have a normal 4 plate stove with an oven, it must be 40 amp with a 6 mm wire.

If it is a HOB and ELO, the wires must be 4 mm with 2 x 32 amp circuit breakers.

The only time you would use a 25 amp circuit breaker, if you have a special stove that have relays which restricts the use of all the plates at the same time, which can plug into a standard socket outlet, which should only have a 20 amp mcb, so I would check the 25 amp electricians qualifications .
    Have to disagree - watching inverters you seldom see cooking go over 20 Amps - the highest loads I generally see are dishwashers

There are exceptions when people use all 4 plates but that is rare

Answer to same post under different heading below

There is no regulation stipulating the size of circuit required for a stove - Now a days with everyone going gas hob 25 amps is more than enough
    If you are going to use all 4 plates , oven and warmer draw all at the same time then 25Amps may be to light

An oven is around 2 Kw which is 8 amps and once at temp comes on and off to maintain temp - a stove plate is +/- 1,5kw , around 6 amps

You can buy a stove that plugs into a normal socket

From SANS 10142-1 ed 3.1

6.16.3.2 Cooking appliance circuits
    6.16.3.2.1 A dedicated circuit(s) shall be provided for cooking appliance(s)
    that are rated at more than 16 A.

Thanks

It's a built in unit. The stovetop has 4 plates plus an oven.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Have to disagree - watching inverters you seldom see cooking go over 20 Amps - the highest loads I generally see are dishwashers

There is no regulation stipulating the size of circuit required for a stove - Now a days with everyone going gas hob 25 amps is more than enough
    If you are going to use all 4 plates , oven and warmer draw all at the same time then 25Amps may be to light

An oven is around 2 Kw which is 8 amps and once at temp comes on and off to maintain temp - a stove plate is +/- 1,5kw , around 6 amps

From SANS 10142-1 ed 3.1

So if at some point I use all 4 plates and the oven it'll be 6*4 + 8 = 32 Amps? The electrician mentioned that 25 amps is too low for full load and might cause it to trip the power so yeah I think I'm gonna insist on it being replaced. Thanks y'all

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Let me get this right, the next test report/COC I do, I can just replace the 40 amp breaker labelled "stove" which feeds a 40 amp stove isolator with 6 mm wire with a 25 amp breaker ?

I suppose why not, the cable is protected, the isolator is within spec, if the stove keeps tripping the 25 amp breaker, you just charge for a call out and fit the original 40 amp, who said sparkies didn't know how to make quick buck

Chances are you going to have to replace the "stove" circuit and make a few mods to the wiring and stove isolator location if you are going to install gas.

You we going to going all out, we would also need to consider induction stoves.

From experience, I am going to stick with my statement. If you fit a 25 amp breaker in my DB, which has a 6 mm wire and a 40 amp stove isolator, you going to be back to put the right size breaker at your cost.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post

From SANS 10142-1 ed 3.1

Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The important thing to remember, which I am sure we can all agree on, the circuit breaker is not there to protect the stove, it is there to protect the wire.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me get this right, the next test report/COC I do, I can just replace the 40 amp breaker labelled "stove" which feeds a 40 amp stove isolator with 6 mm wire with a 25 amp breaker ?
    And what (compliance related) reason would you give to downgrade the breaker from 40 amp if the circuit is wired in 6mm?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If the electric stove is replaced with a gas stove and I would fit a (16 amp) socket outlet as per the gas and electrical regulations, I would de rate the breaker and attach the note, a picture and a sketch of the modifications to the supplementary test report/COC which would be attached to the a copy of the original test report/COC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    And what (compliance related) reason would you give to downgrade the breaker from 40 amp if the circuit is wired in 6mm?