Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water heaters and inverters

Thanks

water heaters and inverters

Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Consider a locally manufactured solar geyser controller - Geyserwatcher, with mains as a back up if required for days with no sun or over consumption of hot water.
    Attachment 8904
    Attachment 8905
    Thank you for your input, but I think some people have missed the point. I am not dealing with solar backup - it's not an option in our block of flats. I'm merely adding an inverter/battery system that will power some things (including the 30L Ariston over-sink water heater) during load shedding. I just want to know if the 8kw system will be able to power the Ariston?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    An 8 kw inverter would be able to supply power to a 1,5 KW resistive load. A 5 kw inverter would do the job. the battery will determine if it will last for the 2 hours load shedding.

Just a note, take note of the capacity of the battery and the C rating.

It is advisable to go at least 2 x 5 kwh or 1 x 10 kwh minimum for an 8 kw inverter. If for some reason you do only go with 1 x 5 kwh battery, you might need to get the installer to do a few calculations.

The C rating will determine the charge and discharge rate, which shouldn't be a problem if you use a decent battery brand, which would be rated at least C0.5.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickV View Post
    Thank you for your input, but I think some people have missed the point. I am not dealing with solar backup - it's not an option in our block of flats. I'm merely adding an inverter/battery system that will power some things (including the 30L Ariston over-sink water heater) during load shedding. I just want to know if the 8kw system will be able to power the Ariston?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way, I wish you luck with installing a battery system in a block of flats, especially if it is a lithium battery.

You will need to speak to your body corporate, your insurance company and make sure it covers your flat and every part of the building it might burn, if that battery catches on fire for any reason, be it loose connections or because of an external fire, you could be liable for the damages for everything.

I am busy with an installation in a complex and boy am I glad I didn't just slap the system on the wall and issue a COC.

I am not a ware of any lithium battery brand that is suitable for installation inside a building, especially a block of flats.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12