Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split conduit for the solar wires

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Split conduit for the solar wires

I am busy planning a new panel installation, We using 4 mm solarflex cables which has all the correct standards for UV, double insulated etc.

There are a few option for getting the wire into the roof, either flatten a piece of conduit which is not flexible and fight with it or use sprague which is also not idea because when you try flatten it, it makes it more of a challenge to push the wires.

Why not just use split conduit, its black, UV stable and easy to push the wires and fits in an adaptor with a bit of rubber tape and considering the solarflex wire doesn't even need to be in a conduit due to the fact that it is double insulated, it offer a little protection when the roof tile is put back in place.

Thanks
    Question: Using the black split conduit. Is it compliant in SA to use it everywhere? High Rise buildings etc.?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I am busy planning a new panel installation, We using 4 mm solarflex cables which has all the correct standards for UV, double insulated etc.

Why not just use split conduit, its black, UV stable and easy to push the wires and fits in an adaptor with a bit of rubber tape and considering the solarflex wire doesn't even need to be in a conduit due to the fact that it is double insulated, it offer a little protection when the roof tile is put back in place.
    I disagree with your statements - Solar wire is unamoured and single core and must therefore be in a wireway as per reg pasted below

SANS10142-1 ed3.1
    6.4.6.1 Unarmoured single-core cables without a metal sheath shall only be
    used
    a) in wireways (see 6.5),

wireway

open or enclosed route or support such as a rack, tray, ladder, ducting,
    trunking, sleeving or conduit that is intended to contain conductors or cables

There are a few option for getting the wire into the roof, either flatten a piece of conduit which is not flexible and fight with it or use sprague which is also not idea because when you try flatten it, it makes it more of a challenge to push the wires.
    You cannot flatten it according to regs

From Sans10142-1 ed3.1
    6.5 Wireways
    6.5.1 General
    6.5.1.1 When a wireway is installed
    i) no part of the wireway shall be flattened, split or damaged;

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
    Question: Using the black split conduit. Is it compliant in SA to use it everywhere? High Rise buildings etc.?
    There used to be reference made that no split conduit can't be used - I don't find a reference but would think split conduit does not comply to SANS 950

SANS 950, Non-metallic conduit fittings for use in electrical installations.
    Last edited by GCE; 23-Apr-24 at 02:52 PM. Reason: can should have been can't

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Solar wire is double insulation and is not required to be in a wireway, just imagine trying to fit solar panel wires in a wireway, not going to happened even if somebody does come come up a with a ridiculous code like the euro plug.

Let me get my popcorn....every single solar installation will fail.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Let me ask this question, do you have to install trailing cable in a wireway ?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I think we should first identify the type of wire used, the application it was designed for and how it must be installed.

By the way the flattened 25 mm conduit works the best.

I use a hot air gun, put the 25 mm pipe in the vice and squash it, check the wires can be fed easily through the piece of conduit. Put a 45 bend on the piece of pipe, attach a coupling and sprag. It offers additional mechanical protection for the double insulated solaflex wires, designed specifically for solar installations.

If you have a better solution please share.

6.4.6 Unarmoured cables

6.4.6.1 Unarmoured single-core cables without a metal sheath shall only be used

a) in wireways (see 6.5),

b) for open wiring (see 6.4.5), and (if you go to 6.4.5 you will notice that it states that the voltage must not exceed the voltage)

c) for temporary wiring (see 7.8).

What this tells me is that these regs are not suitable for the solar installation application, once again we look forward to regs which are specifically applicable for the application.

From my understanding of the regs, the new regs will only apply to new installations, all the older installation will apply to the old regs.

IF your solar installtion was done in 2019, the new regs will not apply, not even if you sell the property.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Solar wire is double insulation and is not required to be in a wireway, just imagine trying to fit solar panel wires in a wireway, not going to happened even if somebody does come come up a with a ridiculous code like the euro plug.

Let me get my popcorn....every single solar installation will fail.
    SANS 60364-7-712 allows for the module wiring to be strapped with UV protected cable ties
    Double insulated single core cables can be run in the same wireway , single insulated needs to be run in separate conduits - Have a look at Table 712.9 in SANS 60364-7-712

712.521.104 String wiring
    In the case where wiring of PV strings between modules is not protected by conduit or other
    enclosures, in addition to the requirements for all array wiring the following requirements shall
    also apply:
    • cables are protected from mechanical damage, and
    • the cable is so installed as to relieve tension in order to prevent the conductor from
    coming free from the connection.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    At least this clears up the original question, you can use split conduit to for added protection.

It also clears up the talk about the double insulated cables in the same wireway. To add to the confusion, what about the single insulated 6 mmsq earth wire installed in the same conduit, I see most installers have a single insulated earth wire inside the same wireway ?

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    SANS 60364-7-712 allows for the module wiring to be strapped with UV protected cable ties
    Double insulated single core cables can be run in the same wireway , single insulated needs to be run in separate conduits - Have a look at Table 712.9 in SANS 60364-7-712

712.521.104 String wiring
    In the case where wiring of PV strings between modules is not protected by conduit or other
    enclosures, in addition to the requirements for all array wiring the following requirements shall
    also apply:
    • cables are protected from mechanical damage, and
    • the cable is so installed as to relieve tension in order to prevent the conductor from
    coming free from the connection.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    At least this clears up the original question, you can use split conduit to for added protection.
    Apoligies - it does not clear it can should have been can't - was a typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast