Thread: Is it best to pursue my LLB degree outside of South Africa? Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Question Is it best to pursue my LLB degree outside of South Africa? Any opinions on this?

Hi everyone. I would like some help and opinions on an educational dillemma I am facing.

I am currently in my first-year studying a B.A Law at the University of the Witwatersrand, and am planning to study my LLB degree after my current one, then later, my Masters degree. However, I have always wanted to move to Europe, and am now faced with the following dilemma:

Option 1: Apply to a European University next year (2023) and start my first year of an LLB degree in 2024. If I take this route, I will be 21 years at the beginning of first year, and 23 by the time I complete my LLB. By the time I finish my Masters I would be 24.

Option 2: Finish my BA Law and LLB degree in South Africa at the age of 24 (it will take me 5 years because I did a whole year of a General BA degree prior), then do my Masters degree at age 25.

Note: All of the above options exclude my articles and additional training.

So, I am concerned that a lot of my South African peers who did their LLB for only 3 years would be working at around 21-23 years and I'm only still studying. Which option above would you guys go for if you were in my situation?

Thanks,
    Leigh

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Do what works for you and ignore what age everybody else starts earning
    In the bigger scheme of things 2 or 3 years of loss of earnings vs 35 to 40 years of earnings is insignificant , so long term it does not make a difference and your earning potential will be higher thereby bypassing others that started 2 or 3 years early .

Look at the bigger picture , do what works for you and do what makes you happy - Money comes later and helps but money is not the be all and end all of human existence

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are truly fortunate - Both options are wonderful.
    Don't beat yourself up on things that don't matter - Do what gets you where you want to be in 5 to 10 years time.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My 2c is to study, I earned money first while my friends carried on studying and now they have all overtaken me by far already.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk