Quote Originally Posted by bammer View Post
I suggest you consider the following thread which includes a list of circumstances in which a supplier may issue a credit note for VAT purposes:

http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...uidated-debtor

In my view, since this is not a credit note event as provided for in section 21 of the VAT Act, the supplier is correct not to issue you with a credit note.

Further, in terms of section 20(5) of the VAT Act, if the consideration in money for a supply does not exceed R5 000, a tax invoice does not have to contain the recipient's name, address or VAT registration number. It follows that you should not have an issue in respect of invoices below R5 000 (including VAT).

With regards to invoices exceeding R5 000, an ancient edition of SARS' VAT News (which I will try to find) provided that the recipient should simply request the supplier to write the VAT number in pen on the invoice and send it back to you - not that it is required, but ask the supplier if it will also add a signature and date and/or a company stamp to support that the details were added by the supplier.
Thank you for this!