Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: E-commerce site web hosting - Best vs worst locally

  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    E-commerce site web hosting - Best vs worst locally

    Hi Ya'all

    As you might have seen in one of my previous posts, im starting up a new e-commerce shop, and after registering the domain name, i need to find a host.

    Now, from what i can tell online, it seems that most ISPs are terrible hosts. Some of the start ive found, in order of compliments, complaints are 1. hetzner/elitehost, 2. domains.co.za and last but not least 3. hostking.

    now i know there are a multitude of hosting sites in SA, making it virtually impossible to just pick one.

    So, any experience out here on fast, always up, hosting thats reliable for e-commerce?

    Cheers
    Aiden

  2. #2
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,977
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    I'm a little curious that you lump Hetzner & Elitehost together as one option
    Are they the same ISP?
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  3. #3
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm a little curious that you lump Hetzner & Elitehost together as one option
    Are they the same ISP?
    Haha no, they are just tied in first place, from what i can tell these are two of the most recommended hosts out there in the tech world.

  4. #4
    Moderator IanF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    2,615
    Thanks
    191
    Thanked 520 Times in 398 Posts
    I am currently using domains.co.za. I moved from elitehost as I found there helpdesk unhelpful to me, as I am not a techie.
    Domains do have nicer tools than elitehost that I can use. These are spam filter for emails and patchman for viruses on the website. Please note I am a semi informed user and not a techie.
    Check out our site at paperkutz.co.za.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

  5. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    I am currently using domains.co.za. I moved from elitehost as I found there helpdesk unhelpful to me, as I am not a techie.
    Domains do have nicer tools than elitehost that I can use. These are spam filter for emails and patchman for viruses on the website. Please note I am a semi informed user and not a techie.
    Check out our site at paperkutz.co.za.
    Thanks Ian, Thats exactly what i want to hear. I need a place that will be up, but also be helpful. I spoke to Wayne from Domains.co.za and he told me about their anti spam and their vulnerability tracker. Very cool little add ons, and i already got my domain from them.

    Glad to finally find a negative elitehost comment. no one can be that good

  6. #6
    Silver Member Greig Whitton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    Hi Aiden

    Any particular reason why it has to be a local host?

    Also, was your site developed using a CMS like Wordpress / Joomla or custom-coded?

    Founder of Evergrow - Helping South African business owners grow their business without the growing pains

  7. #7
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    Hi Aiden

    Any particular reason why it has to be a local host?

    Also, was your site developed using a CMS like Wordpress / Joomla or custom-coded?
    Hey Greig.

    well the though behind it is that if its local it should be faster for locals, especially if seacom is inevitably down, and secondly, id like to support SA businesses, rather than sending my money abroad?

    Yeah, Wordpress.

  8. #8
    Silver Member Greig Whitton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    If you're using Wordpress and are running an e-commerce site, then I highly recommend WP Engine. They're not local, but they specialise in Wordpress hosting and are exceptional both with respect to their technical support / features as well as their client service. I used to use Web Africa but switched to WP Engine several years ago and never looked back.

    Bear in mind that local hosting does not always mean faster site speed (here's a really good article that digs into factors involved).

    Founder of Evergrow - Helping South African business owners grow their business without the growing pains

  9. #9
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    If you're using Wordpress and are running an e-commerce site, then I highly recommend WP Engine. They're not local, but they specialise in Wordpress hosting and are exceptional both with respect to their technical support / features as well as their client service. I used to use Web Africa but switched to WP Engine several years ago and never looked back.

    Bear in mind that local hosting does not always mean faster site speed (here's a really good article that digs into factors involved).
    Thanks Greig, Will have a look into it.

    Have you ever had issues when seacom goes down? do you find the load times faster than with your own hosting? and lastly, did you have shared hosting or a vps?

    Cheers
    Aiden

  10. #10
    Full Member Tonye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Hi Aiden,

    I have been using Gridhost for many years. They provide local hosting & their support has been amazing.
    I am using their Guru package & have 10 domains registered with them @ R199.00/m

    Features include.
    Unlimited disk space
    Unlimited bandwidth
    Unlimited e-mail addresses
    Unlimited Mysql databases
    30 domains
    Cpanel

    Which e-commerce system are you using.

    I am using Ecwid, which has also been amazing. View
    It is basically a widget & plugin & is available for Wordpress & Joomla.
    It is fully responsive out of the box
    CSS customization
    It can also be added to a Facebook page. View
    Limitations are online payment gateways & Shipping

    I am currently using Joomla for most of my web design & development.
    By using one of their Responsive templates I have had execellent results across all Screen sizes & web browsers. View

    For stand alone mobile website development, I have been using Dudamobile. View
    Last edited by Tonye; 16-Aug-16 at 03:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Crit Time: Our First Major E-commerce Site
    By Mark Atkinson in forum Business Online Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-Jul-12, 03:37 PM
  2. New commerce site
    By adrianh in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-Apr-12, 07:15 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jun-08, 03:28 PM
  4. Site transfer to new hosting machine.
    By Dave A in forum News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jul-07, 04:53 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •