Thread: Eskom Fact Sheet On Generators.

Thanks

Eskom Fact Sheet On Generators.

http://www.eskom.co.za/Documents/FS_...eGenerator.pdf

Eskom have released a fact sheet on selecting and installing household generators. I was initially quite excited because I though maybe they'd highlight some of the problems with camping and site type generators being totally inappropriate for domestic back-up use.....but alas no.

My suspicions were raised when I saw the reference to '12 gauge ground wire' in question 10. After some elementary Googling I see they've mostly plagiarized a Popular Mechanics article that was published in June 2011. At the bottom I see they've cunningly stated it was compiled by Eskom Corporate Affairs February 2015 as opposed to written so I guess they're not even trying to hide the fact it's not their handiwork. I hope they're paying royalties!!!
    Last edited by AndyD; 26-Jul-15 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    A standby generator is permanently installed apparatus, much like a compressor for a central air-conditioning system
    That statement hardly helps clarify the purpose of a standby generator for the man on the street.

As an alternative, the manual may ask you to run a ground wire from the generator's grounding terminal to the ground bus inside the house's service panel. As long as you follow the instructions provided in the manual, the generator will be safely grounded.
    Hmmm, so it's okay for everyone to remove the covers from their DB and connect earth wiring. Also no mention that with newer installations there should be an earth bar somewhere on the premises that's accessible and is specifically for this type of connection. Also a heavy implication that manufacturers instructions should be followed regardless of what SANS 10142 has to say.