Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
The Ghost packets i tracked totaled about 750kb per 1 hour of 3G use. But twice a day the ghost packets double to 1.4Mb of data... Creepy right
Could you find out how much of that is uploads, and how much are downloads/control signals?

I'm guessing there's some timer event which uploads certain information at certain times of the day. But I wouldn't be surprised if some backdoor implementation from MS listens to an "instruction" from some server to tell it to upload certain "other" info also.

Just wondering if something like Comodo Firewall would stop this in its tracks. Not that I'd ever install that (again), talk about a resource hog, even AVs like Norton / AVG could learn from Comodo about how to use up all RAM and CPU cycles such that the computer truly becomes useless. Only it was the most complete 3rd party firewall I've yet found on Windows - basically everything is stopped unless you specifically allow each individually (I always joked that it did this through not allowing anything else to actually "run"). Though that was still on XP, haven't used it again for several years now. But then it would even stop stuff like Windows's Update checks. Reading a later review it seems they've "toned down the behaviour blocking", so I'm guessing it wouldn't do much about W10's theft of data: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414835,00.asp

Not that I'm advocating any such 3rd party firewall to keep W10 from stealing your files, I'd really advise anyone I come across to rather use anything else. But I guess if you're stuck with it (i.e. you have no choice but to go W10) you have 2nd best choice: either allow MS to do whatever the hell they want with ALL of your files / passwords / connection histories / etc. and never actually save anything personal, sensitive, "secret" or allow yourself to type-in any sort of password (or other credentials), basically don't use your PC for the reasons you actually bought it. Or try to block them from doing so, because simply put, no matter what or how many time you tell Windows DON'T STEAL FROM ME, it will just go ahead an steal anyway.