Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Got Virtual PC going installed a version of win10 on it.... killed 70% of its internet traffic... it is not easy as you need firewall software "third party" and know windows inside out "and i so happen to know a bit about windows. But my packet sniffer still picked up some encrypted packets. My goal is to see no traffic other then my portable browser's traffic and that of the 3G modem itself. When i am happy that i plugged every hole i will make a instructional "if i can get the damn thing to go against its nature" But it will take some time.

I am not happy to see what i saw in the registry... more on that later.

for those of you that want to play with it here is a link...

evaluate windows 10 enterprise

If i can bend it to my will it might not need the third party firewall...
    Teco that is alot of work! try and use cports http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html and then you can kill the unwanted process .

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (19-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    Teco that is alot of work! try and use cports http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html and then you can kill the unwanted process .
    Will look into it thanks
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Not so surprised with all the negativity surrounding W10 with the claims (and facts) on the privacy issues... BUT... having been using W10 since around March. As far as OS systems go with microsoft, this is certainly one of there best yet in my opinion. We also have a couple of guys that use it at work now ... so far, so good as the OS goes. Very few hassles updating, mostly display driver issues that actually come right with standard updates. NEVER thought i would ever say this.. but they have redeemed themselves on the OS side.. ( i am surely to be damned for that one LOL)

On the privacy side.. i dont think any surprises! Yes, no doubt an invasion, but believe that they have only given in to what many are already doing. All the conspiracy therorys out there about how much Google, MS etc can tell you about yourself, Apple, banks hacked, Etolls..etc etc.. On that basis, i have been using encrypted drives for a few years already. I still use Trucrypt as, nope.. not to much faith in Bitlocker just yet, also advanced firewall settings.
    Keylogging, that i must say didnt see.. and if they have access to keylogs, then a matter of time before ti's hacked (if it's there...there's a way!) I don't think the privacy issue is going to go away, but there will be ways of stopping/slowing it down. As for clouds... One drive, cloud.. etc etc..all disabled. Don't like my stuff out there..bit old fashioned that way, hard drive in the safe. Read far to much on how that's gone wrong for peeps..
    Anyways.. my 2 cents

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganx View Post
    Not so surprised with all the negativity surrounding W10 with the claims (and facts) on the privacy issues... BUT... having been using W10 since around March. As far as OS systems go with microsoft, this is certainly one of there best yet in my opinion.
    Since I instigated the whole privacy debate here, I must admit, the OS as a product on it's own is very nice. Definitely the best version of Windows I've used.

Maybe one point regarding privacy - one way around all these concerns is to create a standalone account on Windows 10 (one that isn't connected to any MS services) and use that if privacy is a major concern. And turn off Cotana. Somebody posted a nice video link above to the things you can do to at least partly protect your privacy. Here's another link for people who prefer to read these things:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-configu...acy-1716204024

Thanks
    Just for those thinking this "privacy-debate" is just a "conspiracy-theory" / "media hype" ... Microsoft has now admitted that there is no way to completely stop W10 from sending them usage data, keystrokes, browser history, etc. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-tracking/
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (03-Nov-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Just for those thinking this "privacy-debate" is just a "conspiracy-theory" / "media hype" ... Microsoft has now admitted that there is no way to completely stop W10 from sending them usage data, keystrokes, browser history, etc. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-tracking/
    And we must just blindly trust Microsoft with our stuff... yea... I don't see that happening... ever...
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    And we must just blindly trust Microsoft with our stuff... yea... I don't see that happening... ever...

Then why did you install Windows 10 ?

Got Virtual PC going installed a version of win10 on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Then why did you install Windows 10 ?
    to play with it, figure out how it functions, see if one can maybe disable some functions on it safely. More to the point to learn it. Eventually someone will have win10 on there computer and expect me to fix it.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Eventually someone will have win10 on there computer and expect me to fix it.
    Already had that ... some colleague had a MacBook Pro, which she needed to add a Windows into as dual boot (requirement for the main programs we use). Well, it's now impossible for the "man on the street" to buy anything but W10 as a new Windows OS ... unless you know where to go.

Short version: If it wasn't for me trying out W10 inside a VM (which BTW is the only place I'd ever use it myself due to the ability to untie it completely from network connections yet still be able to link to the host's discs) I'd have had huge issues in trying to sort out just how to get the correct drivers. BTW, do NOT attempt installing W10 into a Mac (as yet) - there's some hairy issues. Just getting right-click to work is a pain, and just try to install drivers without a right-click on any Windows. You'll soon understand just how much problems I had.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    BTW, do NOT attempt installing W10 into a Mac (as yet) - there's some hairy issues. Just getting right-click to work is a pain, and just try to install drivers without a right-click on any Windows. You'll soon understand just how much problems I had.
    I have been running Windows on my Macbook Pro since June last year (via Parallels), and I haven't experienced the pain that you've described - in fact, it's been a doddle.

With regards to the right-click issue, it's a very simple tweak in the Macbook's System Preferences. I went to Trackpad and, under the Secondary Click option, I selected "Click in bottom right corner" - right-click enabled!
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

13. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (04-Nov-15)

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast