Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Degree.. Is unemployed...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So, did you get the job at the beer garden?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Random Hero, it seems you are being misunderstood. There's a huge difference between marketing and sales. It's not always a necessity that someone should start in sales to be involving in marketing (which is effectively developing strategy to sell and not actual selling which is what field salesmen do).

Just because some people started in sales and then got into marketing does not mean the same will work for you, as some are suggesting. It's perfectly possible someone who is not a good salesman can be a brilliant marketer.

It's like saying if you want to be a programmer you should take a job fixing computers. Yes, some start off that way but there are more direct ways to get into the field you desire, which I believe is what your goal is.

I disagree with most of the advice given here. But also remember the job market is tough for everyone, regardless of race, especially if you have a very common qualification. You are not alone, somewhere out there, there is a black, coloured or indian grad in the same position as you.

Have you tried applying for graduate programmes? Many top companies take in graduates with zero "sales" experience in their marketing dept. good marks are essential. You could also try a small business, doing promo items for small companies in your area, like T-shirts, caps, mugs with branding etc.

With regards to recruitment agencies, in my personal experience, many are time wasters. Some invite you to interviews with them for jobs that don't exist. Personally I prefer jobs advertised directly by the company not via agencies. Have had far more success (interviews) than via agencies.

Good luck RH.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Lol .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desi View Post
    Random Hero, it seems you are being misunderstood. There's a huge difference between marketing and sales. It's not always a necessity that someone should start in sales to be involving in marketing (which is effectively developing strategy to sell and not actual selling which is what field salesmen do).

Just because some people started in sales and then got into marketing does not mean the same will work for you, as some are suggesting. It's perfectly possible someone who is not a good salesman can be a brilliant marketer.

It's like saying if you want to be a programmer you should take a job fixing computers. Yes, some start off that way but there are more direct ways to get into the field you desire, which I believe is what your goal is.

I disagree with most of the advice given here. But also remember the job market is tough for everyone, regardless of race, especially if you have a very common qualification. You are not alone, somewhere out there, there is a black, coloured or indian grad in the same position as you.

Have you tried applying for graduate programmes? Many top companies take in graduates with zero "sales" experience in their marketing dept. good marks are essential. You could also try a small business, doing promo items for small companies in your area, like T-shirts, caps, mugs with branding etc.

With regards to recruitment agencies, in my personal experience, many are time wasters. Some invite you to interviews with them for jobs that don't exist. Personally I prefer jobs advertised directly by the company not via agencies. Have had far more success (interviews) than via agencies.

Good luck RH.
    Thank you for the response desi yes agencies have been wasting my time aswell.. I have had more luck dealing with companies directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    When you study marketing (which has little to do with sales) you will realise that consumers do not always know what they want or what their options are. Marketing creates the environment to facilitate sales. Sales must identify the need and fill it quicker than the competition. This does not mean that you must shove it down their throats, but you must assist them in making up their minds by pointing out the features and benefits of your product. (assuming there are features and benefits)

Henry Ford once said that "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."
    Thank you Blurock. I hope SAB gets back to me, I wu=ould love to get good sales experience and grow from their.

There is this company "growth capital" they seem to have found my CV from career 24 and similar sites. some B2C sales crap but I wont be doing that...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I hope that you wash your potty mouth with CleanGreen before your next interview!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
    Thank you for the response desi yes agencies have been wasting my time aswell.. I have had more luck dealing with companies directly.

Lol ..... So u have had more luck with companies directly ........... So u must be inundated with job offers ?!!!!! Or not

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Who are you and what did you do with adrianh?

Yes working hard is essential to success... May not always be the job you want or like but it keeps the pot boiling and the wolves away.

Lol ...... ....... going thro this thread I could not fail to notice that tec does read posts, even tho he claims he blocks them

Thanks
    Random Hero,

I agree with you take about selling. We should not bombard people to buy our product just to make some profit. But Blurock made some good point with his post below.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    When you study marketing (which has little to do with sales) you will realise that consumers do not always know what they want or what their options are. Marketing creates the environment to facilitate sales. Sales must identify the need and fill it quicker than the competition. This does not mean that you must shove it down their throats, but you must assist them in making up their minds by pointing out the features and benefits of your product. (assuming there are features and benefits)

Henry Ford once said that "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."
    Most of the times, consumers do not even know about what they really want or need. They only have the big picture in their mind. That's why a sales need to have a deep knowledge about their products and represent it to the customer. Good sales should not insist the selling, instead they should explain about their product. In the end, the customer itself will make the decision.

Thanks
    Have not been around here for a while.
    Good to see the gang still getting along just fine.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I personally have seen giants fall before... Everyone gets there chance to eat humble pie.

It reminds me of a friend of mine, good old man i miss him much. He use to play violin outside his company at lunch with his hat at his side. I always went to lunch myself at that hour because he could really play. I think it was my forth or sixth job cannot remember. People that didn't know him, or who he was, they would walk past and drop money in his hat. He liked that because it showed people enjoyed his music...

One day a contractor walked past the old man and dropped a R20 in his hat and said to the old guy to take the money and well the language wasn't great but it comes down to he told the old guy to pack his stuff and go. The old man stopped playing and stared at the contractor "i think he was a builder" i don't know anyhow the old man just looked up at him said. " Well son you just blew it" A security guard walked up to the old man and ask if there was any trouble? The old man pointed at the contractor and said "Yes get this man off my property"

that contractor's face was worth framing pity it was at a time before camera phones. It was absolutely classic.

That day i put a R50 in his hat, because he showed me to always respect people.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

11. Thanks given for this post:

CLIVE-TRIANGLE (25-May-15)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast